Dutch Van der Linde & Bill Williamson & Arthur Morgan: The Best Man

Dutch Van der Linde X Female Reader
Bill Williamson X Female Reader
Arthur Morgan X Female Reader

Summary: Dutch and Bill have been so busy focusing on each other that they miss what was right in front of them the whole time.

Word Count: 2600

Dutch glanced up from his book and his gaze instantly settled on you. He couldn't fight off the small smile that appeared on his face as he watched you. However, that smile faded when you sat down at the table with Bill, a drink in your hand and a smile on your face as you made the other man laugh.

Dutch remembered when he first met you, you had instantly captured his attention. Yes, you were definitely beautiful but there was something else as well. It wasn't too long before Dutch found himself falling for you. You were a mere criminal when he found you, running small time jobs but had a lot of potential. Maybe it had been his initial infatuation with you that caused him to convince Hosea to let you join the gang.

It had all been going well, in Dutch's opinion. You got along with the gang and you seemed to like him just fine, enjoying your conversions. When you started talking to Bill, Dutch wasn't concerned at all.

You and Bill seemed to get along pretty well, becoming good friends, but Dutch could see what was simmering under the surface. He noticed the way that Bill perked up whenever you were around, he noticed the smile on Bill's face whenever you talked, the way that Bill's gaze followed you when you walked away. Bill clearly had feelings for you but Dutch wasn't worried, what on Earth could Bill have that he didn't? No, Dutch was confident that he had the upper hand here. Surely Bill didn't stand a chance.

Bill didn't hide his laugh as you told him some stupid joke, one that you were clearly proud of.

"Oh come on! That was a good one" you laughed as Bill shook his head at you.

"If you say so" Bill continued to shake his head. He could admit to you and himself that he enjoyed the silly little jokes that you came up with.

"Well, if you don't like my jokes, I'll go and tell them to somebody who will appreciate them" you threatened playfully.

"No, no. I appreciate them, I really do" he assured you, a smile still on his face. You had to admit that you liked making Bill laugh and smile, he just seemed so miserable sometimes, it was nice to see a change.

"Good because I've got more for you when I get back" you promised with a smile.

"Get back? Where are you going?" Bill asked, hoping that he didn't sound to disappointed to hear that you were leaving the camp without him.

"Hosea gave me a lead, I'm going to check it out with Arthur" you explained with a small shrug.

"Well, good luck" Bill nodded at you.

"Thanks Bill, I'll see you later" you smiled, patting his shoulder as you stood up.

"See you later" Bill smiled slightly before you started to walk away, he barely even noticed that he had continued to watch you walked away.

You walked across the camp, heading over to your horse, where you were meant to meet Arthur before leaving.

"Y/n" Dutch called you name from his tent. When you heard your name, you turned to Dutch and saw him placing his book down as he stood from his chair. "You're leaving?" he asked, walking over to you.

Bill sighed when he saw you turning to speak with Dutch, he was very aware of how Dutch felt about you. He saw the way that Dutch turned on the charm, the little touches and comments. Sometimes Bill thought that you might like him, that you might return his feelings, but then he wondered how he could compete with Dutch. Dutch had undeniable charm and a way with women, something that he never had. Yet you and Bill got along very well, he knew that. He was pretty sure that you were better friends with him than with Dutch, so...that's something, right?