Chapter 39:

MATTIA'S P.O.V.

I stare down at the cement pavement as I wait for Jenna to walk out.

Someone places their hand on my shoulder. At first when I look up I see her figure, her brown hair and her freckles. Her beautiful smile. A grin appears on my face

"Dawn-" but then the image clears up. "Jenna" I say as I let out a sigh and look back at the ground.

"Dawn? Yikes, I take that as an insult" she says cringing as she pushes her hair away from her face.

"You shouldn't. She's beautiful"

"Interesting" she says extending her arm out to me.

"What?" I say

"Let's go"

"I can walk without holding your hand" i say but she takes my hand forcefully, smiling.

"No strings attached right?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm not doing this" I say slipping away from her grip. "Why did you wanna hang out,exactly?"

"Because why not? You aren't hanging out with Dawn anymore so perfect opportunity" she says avoiding eye contact as we walk down the block.

"I'm gonna be with Dawn again so you should stop trying to get us to happen"

She rolls her eyes. "Dawn's moved on" she says confidently.

"Yeah okay" I say laughing. "What makes you think that?"

"I saw her with this guy yesterday. They looked pretty close" she says taking my hand again.

"What guy?" I say confused. "We just broke up yesterday. They could be friends" I say trying to convince myself of a reality I hope to be true.

I slip away from her grip again as I bury my hands in my pockets.

"If you consider friends people who hug and walk really close to each other than fine. Call it that"

She looks at me tilting her head to the side slightly and shrugs.

Did she move on?

Why do I care?

I don't

Yes you do

"Whatever"

She raises her brows. "Whatever? Hmph I doubt it's just whatever for you"

I roll my eyes. "It's whatever,Jenna. I don't care at this point. She could do what she wants to do"

"And you should do what you wanna do without feeling guilty" she says slowly as we enter the park.

She walks to take a seat on a  bench and I follow her.

Once we're both sitting she doesn't remove her gaze from mine.

The more I look at her the prettier she gets from some reason.

"What?" I say

" nothing"

"Tell me" I say insisting

"Dawn was really lucky" she says smiling weakly

"Why?" I say as I furrow my brows

"She got the chance to really be with you. And you liked her back"

"I'm not that special, Jenna. I'm just like any other guy"

"Not really. Everyone's basically out of your league so yeah" she says laughing.

"You're not" I say smiling

What am I doing?

She raises her brows and I lean in as I place my arm around her. She hesitates before planting her lips onto mine quickly.

And then she pulls away.

But I pull her back in, holding onto her chin.

She looks up at me smiling. "We don't have to be together now but I hope you know how much I like you"

I smile. "I know" I say as I hug her.

Does she though?