Chapter 51:

YOUR P.O.V.

I unlock the door with my keys and attempt to push it open but there's something blocking me from getting in. I forcefully push the door again when I hear my mom call out. "One second, Dawn!"

With footsteps and a loud thump coming from inside, her voice startles me as she asks "can you get in now?" I push the door again and it finally opens. I look at the tiled floor in front of me, shocked

She's already started packing and there's boxes that are halfway filled with items, blocking the entire entranceway. "Ma" i say slowly taking off my shoes. I attempt to take a step towards her and almost slip on something odd. I pick it up and observe it.

A box with a label that seems familiar

A slight smile makes it way onto my face

I remember this from a while back.

Flashback to a few years ago:

The doorbell rings and I rush to the front door, turning the knob and seeing him, standing on my porch. His hair's growing back.

Mattia.

I knew it would be him. He texted me that he'd be coming over earlier. But he's holding a bag in his hand. He smiles nervously and my cheeks blush.

"Happy birthday" he says quietly, handing me the gift bag. I stare down at his hands that are bruised from soccer practice he had earlier.

I rub my neck as I look back at him. I extend my hand and take the bag softly,opening up the present. Gift wrapping paper falls on the ground and he goes to pick it up. I stare down at what's inside and a smile progresses onto my face.

I look at him and smirk. "You shouldn't have"

"It's nothing big, I just knew you've wanted it for a while"

I take the object out.

LED lights

I've wanted them for a while. But my mom never agreed to get them for me.

"Thanks, Mattia" I say. He nods and goes to give me a hug.  He smells nice

"There's something else in there" he says as he places his chin on top of my head. I furrow my brows and look inside the bag again.

I didn't see anything else?

I dig deeper under the box of lights to see a shirt . I take it in my hands, reading the tag.

Brandy Melville

My mouth goes agape. "I'll meet you in New York" the shirt reads on top of an image of comic-drawn black and white eyes.

"Do you like it?" His raspy voice asks, snapping me back to reality

I nod. "I love it, oh my god. You really didn't have to get me this"

He smiles. "Of course I did, it's your birthday D"

I shake my head, laughing. "Come inside. My mom's making dinner"

Back to reality

I blink my eyes, smiling unconditionally

My mom looks at me poker faced

"Hm?" She places a pile of books into one of the brown crates

"You've already started packing?"

"Yeah, we don't have much time so I decided to start now"

"But you said we had two weeks?"

"Yeah and I mean, if we get everything finished earlier than we might leave sooner"

I'm really moving

My eyes start tearing up but I wipe them before she notices. But she isn't even paying attention to me

"Where'd you even go?" She says as she starts writing on a box with sharpie

"To see some friends" I walk closer to her

She doesn't say anything as I see her write: 'living room' on the box. I look around the room to see our pictures are already off the walls.

All of them

"Ma, there's no way I can stay here?"

She looks up, wipers the hair away from her face, and I don't know if she's mad or sad. "You wanna stay?"

I nod

"And leave your mother by herself?"

"It's easier for you to move. I've lived here all my life"

She rolls her eyes and places the cap on the sharpie

"I'm doing this for us. Not for me or for you by yourself. For us"

"We're fine with what we have here, though."

"You don't know what goes into having a house. It's mortgage and payments that need to be on time. And we're living by ourselves now. It was easier when your dad was here but he isn't here now"

"I can get a job. I can help out more"

"What's an extra $100 gonna help with compared to thousands that this job can give us?"

I look down at my feet and when my eyes begin blurring, I grab my shoes and begin heading upstairs.

"We're moving, Dawn. End of discussion"

I slam the door shut

Shit

Mattia promised we would make this work but honestly I know it won't

I just know it