Chapter 96:

YOUR P.O.V.

I wake up with my head in massive pain to see Mattia asleep on the chair besides me. "Tia" I whisper as I reach my arm out to him, tapping him and seeing him jolt awake.

"W-wha-Huh. What happened" he sits up and wipes his eyes.

"Nothing I just wanted to know if you knew where the baby was" I say realizing she isn't in her cubicle.

"They uhm—" he yawns. "—brought her into the room where the other babies are so they can clean her and everything"

"Oh" I say as I lay back in my bed and look up at the ceiling.

"We still have to name her" he says and I tilt my head over to him with a soft grin appearing.

"Okay this is gonna be hard" I say turning on my side so I'm completely facing him.

"Well let's think" he takes my hand and massages it which calms my nerves down. "Mia?"

I scrunch my nose up and shake my head. "A lot of people have that name"

"Hm" he scratches his neck. "Isabella?" I go to say something when he shakes his head. "Never mind. I've met too many of those"

"Oh" I say. "What about Ada. Short for Adalyn" the name seems almost nostalgic. As if I've heard it somewhere— because the name had never been an option in my mind. And I had never met an Adalyn. Not once in my life.

"Ada. I like that" he smirks and I laugh.

"Are you sure? Because I mean, it's permanent. So if you choose that name then you can't change it"

He nods. "No no no I like it I like it" he says kissing my head. "I'll go get Ada" he says standing and I nod.

"You go do that"

"I'll be right back"

I hold onto her tightly; feeling the weight of her body over the safety net of my arms. It's weird not feeling her.. inside of me. I'm so used to the feeling of being weighed down by her. So much that it would hurt to sleep some nights. But it's safe to say that I've developed some sort of emotional attachment to her now. One I didn't know a mother could have.

And speaking of mothers, I haven't heard the voice of mine in months. I wonder what she thought while going into labor with me. What she thought I would become. How different our lives would end up. How to deal with me in the future.

And I don't know how I would do that with Ada. I don't know anything about children other than the fact that they need care and attention. Which I also need to manage somehow along with my education.

Mattia and I both need one. We intend on getting our college degrees. Although I don't know how that would work for me right now. I don't wanna hold Mattia back.

"Dawn" the familiar voice calls out for me. I look up to see Alejandro peering his head out from behind the blue curtain dividing the room. "C-can I see her?" He asks

I nod and watch him grin wider than ever as he looks over my shoulder at her and I lift her softly; trying not to wake her. She's been asleep since Mattia brought her over to me. The nurses said she was up crying all night. But most newborns are like that.

I hand Alejandro the baby and watch him sit down in the chair Mattia was sleeping in, besides me and observe her features ever so throughly. He takes the tip of his pointer finger and rubs it along her cheek. And then he looks up at me and smiles like a child who just found his missing toy. Like he didn't expect something to happen when he touched her cheek. But I don't know what that even is.

"She's so soft"

I grin widely. That's my baby.

"Yeah, that had to be the first thing I noticed about her"

"Her name's Adalyn?"

I nod.

"You've never told me you liked that name"

"I didn't even know I did" I say intertwining my fingers. "I just" i stop talking for a second and look back at him. "I just feel like I've heard that name before. And in such a beautiful way. But I don't know where"

"Well it is a great name. It suits her."

I smile

"What color are her eyes?" He asks as he notices she's still sleeping.

"Light brown" I say. "But I mean sometimes the eye color can change. It's way too early to really tell what color they are"

He nods. "She's beautiful, Dawn"

"Thanks, Ale"

A few weeks later

"Mattia can you help me!" I call out to the boy who I last saw in the bathroom.

"Yeah!" He yells back and I hear his gigantic footsteps trail closer to me.

I look down at Adalyn who's still crying without the tears. I need Mattia to stay with her while I go get her formula ready. I then realize I heard his footsteps but still don't see him anywhere in sight.

"Mattia!" I yell

"I'm here" he says as he walks into the nursery and looks at me and then Adalyn. He smiles immediately and picks her up from the grip of my arms and plays with her. Her cries soften almost instantly once she makes eye contact with him and then proceeds to laugh as she touches his face all over. He makes goofy faces at her and she smiles. Not even looking at me once.

"Okay good. Stay with her while I get her milk ready" i say running into the kitchen and towards the cabinet; pulling out the baby formula we had bought recently. She tends to drink from it often since I don't breastfeed her. I pull out the measuring spoon and use it to grab a handful of the formula and place it in the bottle. I fill it with water and begin shaking it when I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket.

I place the bottle down on the kitchen cabinet and remove my phone from my pants; observing the screen when my face falls.

What?

[ this user doesn't appear to be in your contacts. Press stop to no longer receive messages from this number]

1 (insert number):

Mattia isn't the father of the baby. I am