Chapter 49:

YOUR P.O.V.

I walk into the house outraged. Mainly because my mom made me come home when I had plans and partially over the fact that she didn't tell me what she wanted from me.

I drop my keys on the desk by the front door and remove my shoes, placing them on the ground.

"Ma!" I call out. She doesn't reply and so, I look for her around the house only to find her in her bedroom. I walk in and knock on the door.

She looks up from her phone at me, and smiles. "Hey Dawn, babyyyy" she says as she walks over to me.

I roll my eyes. "You seem happy so what's so important. I had plans with friends today"

"I just had to tell you in person"

"Huh? Tell me what?"

"I got the job!" She says grinning from ear to ear. I find myself forgetting about being upset at her and hug her tightly.

"That's great, ma!" I say pulling away.

"I know!" She says.

"What is it? And where?"

"It's a job working at this amazing and huge hospital. I'm still a nurse, just in a different area"

"That's amazing! How far is it?" I say sitting on her bed

"That's what we had to talk about yesterday"

I furrow my brows. "So where is it? An hour away? Two hours??"

She shakes her head and plants her lips into a thin line. "It's pretty far"

I scoff. "Where?"

"Connecticut!" She says smiling.

I find the grin on my face disappearing and my heart drops instantly. "C-Connecticut?"

"Yup . I've been looking into the area more and it's great. You're gonna love it there"

I look around the room. I feel dizzy.

"L-love it there? So we're really moving?"

"Yes, really"

"Ma, why didn't you ask me first !"

"I wanted to ask yesterday but you were tired. And you said you'd support me anyways, I thought you wouldn't mind moving"

"Of course I mind! I love it here!" I say tearing up. "This has to be a joke"

"Sweetie, it isn't."

"Well I'm not moving"

"You have to"

I bury my face in my hands and sob. It feels so unreal. "there's no way you can decline the job offer?"

She frowns. "Decline? D, this is a huge opportunity for us"

"For you! I like what we have here and I want to stay, ma. I really want to"

She shakes her head . "You're only in highschool. New beginnings are good. You'll be fine"

"But I won't be! How can I just leave like this!"

She sighs and winces

"When're we even leaving" I say quietly looking at the ground as my nose drips onto the my blue jeans

"Two weeks"

I look up, startled.

"Two weeks?!"

She nods her head slowly.

"You've gotta be kidding me! No,no,no"

"Dawn, it's gonna be okay. I know you're upset now but-"

"There is no 'buts' this isn't fair!" I say crying. I can't even see her features. Only her silhouette.

I get up off the bed and tears plop onto the carpet making everything clearer

"Dawn" she says to me as I make my way to the door. "Come here" she tries to pull my into a hug

But I walk out the room and grab my shoes and keys.

I need to see Mattia.