A Blessing To This World Of Mine

S - "uhmm.. hey listen, I know I'm no one to intervene but if your mom sees you like this she's going to feel guilty about it. I know it what it feels like when you realize you fucked something up but there's no point in regretting as it's not gonna change a thing. Spend some more time with her? Come home earlier or even stay in a few nights with her. She just wants love... you don't even understand how lucky you are to have her, trust me I don't exactly have the best equation with my parents either because they'll never try to understand me but you have someone whose willing..give it a try? She's not sad because of you but if you try you'll be the reason for her smile." I say patting his shoulder to gather his attention. He nods not saying anything but I heard a lot in the way he took my hand in his . I failed to understand why but I felt the need to protect this human; To love him to no end. I'd felt it the first time I gazed into his deep brown orbs. My heart seemed to have already signed up to do so but I couldn't make any sense of it. "I'm jealous of both you and my mother right now.." he claims taking me by surprise. I give him a questioning look trying to make him continue. "You heard it right.. both of you have so much love in yourself for the people you connect with. And being women it's easier for you to show raw emotion. Society doesn't judge you for it no matter what your age is. I'm jealous cause she now has you to help mend her heart and you have her and your Nani ma but me? Like usual I'm left alone.. I have never had anyone to vent out to; and at this rate I don't think I ever will. Main bhi 10 saal pehle same tere jaisa tha.. koi fikar meri khushi aur energy ko kum nhi kr skti thi. Main poora poora din bahar khedta tha. Kabhi cricket, kabhi football.. kabhi kabhi vaise hi bahar friends k saath baith jata tha. Mumma bohut gussa krte the lekin papa bacha lete the. I was someone who had fun with everyone. The joker of the class. I never really got time to figure out when and why the joker suddenly turned into the beast. My friends left me because I wouldn't come out and play.. any girlfriend I had called me boring and got tired of me easily but no one tried to find out the reason. Till date no one has ever asked me.."

"Why?" I asked cutting his words short. He looked at me with both disbelief and awe. I could tell he was debating on whether he should or shouldn't tell me. "Sometimes telling your darkest secrets to strangers gives you ease cause they aren't someone whose going to think about your words for too long. Or ever use them against you." I offered tightening the grip on his hand.
My own words pinched my heart but isn't that all I was to him? A stranger...
He looked up at me with something I couldn't decode. "Can we talk tonight? Your house... actually mumma might get up and I wanna make today be just for her" he asks turning towards me. I nodded getting up from the sofa. "You're really special for her Shehnaaz... don't leave her" he whispers barely audible. I left the conversation at that and began working in the kitchen while he disappeared back into his room. I was starting to make roti but then decided against it and start making the dough for puriya. Aunty loved Punjabi food and aloo puriya are my speciality. Today was the first time I was thanking my mom to force me into the kitchen when I was younger.

"Can I Help?" I hear a deep voice question behind me. I turn around almost tripping off of stool. "Actually oh can you help me get the flour. I can't reach it." I say keeping my eyes stuck to the floor. He nods moving towards the cabinet grabbing the box on the highest shelf. The box slips covering him with the flour while a some remnants fall into my dupatta and hair. We stood there looking at each other before both bursting into a laugh. I stopped staring at him laughing so free heartedly. I wanted to see this more often. He looked so good laughing. I recall words I'd once written in my corner of the magazine - "if you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.." - right now looking at him laughing I was down to give him all of mine if they made him look like that. I ruffle out the flour from my hair picking up the broom to clean up the floor. "Ik gall kaha?" I ask as he shakes off the flour. He hums looking at me. "You look like Casper the friendly ghost.." I said breaking out into a laugh again. He glares at me before chasing me around the whole kitchen. "Okay okay sorry sorry.. schiii sorry hyeeee" I say huffing out of breath. He leans against the wall catching his own breath. We cleaned everything up and got back in the kitchen working as well as sharing all kinds of incidents from parties and school trips. We didn't notice that Aunty had come out while we were lost in our own worlds. I saw her smiling before turning back around the corner. "Aunt- mumma... aajo khaalo. Khaana thanda na ho jye" I said setting up the table before attending my phone. "Hnji di? Nhi nhi ghar hi aa hun Te. Swere gyi si. Oh pictures chahidiya si and tuhanu Te pta hi aa main har saal birthday ehda hi celebrate krdi aa. Nhi nhi koi gall ni media da Te tuhanu pta hi aa and Hun university and companies krk aa sab Te huna hi si. Hnji hnji I'm ready. Bas thora time lagna adjust hon nu Pr that's normal. Hnji bye" I convinced her,ending the call. Coming back to the table I found them quietly eating but the glow on their faces was evidence of how much happier they were. It made me happy to see that my presence had awoken the life in these two. His mom was reading the newspaper as she devoured the food while Sidharath was too busy pleasuring the taste.
SM - " Beta yeh sab ki aadat na hi daal tu mere ko. Itna acha khaana toh ajj tak nhi khaya maine. Aur ek aur baat yeh tu hi hai na? Ye children NGO wali news mein?" she questioned as I took some food myself. Both her and Sidharath turned their whole attention towards me.
S - "Hnji Aunty.. sorry, mumma. Woh actually 2 week pehle birthday tha mera and har saal ese hi celebrate krti hu main. Khushi milti hai mujhe jab koi meri vajah se khush hota hai. Aur woh bache ton hai hi bohut cute pata nhi unke maa baap unko aise kaise chod jaate hai. Meko to aaj tk nhi samajh aaya, na childrens NGO aur na hi Old Age Homes. Main toh kbhi apne mumma papa ye in laws ko nhi chodugi. Mare jau pr ye na kru. Aur ethe pta nhi kyon media shad da hi nhi aa. Mtlb mainu pta hi nhi lga k photos khich rhe aa." I said receiving a shocked expression from Sidharath and a affectionate look in the eyes of his mom.