Day Before The Wedding

Shehnaaz :

I woke up early next morning excited for the next 24 hours before the wedding. Nani maa has insisted I kept the choora ceremony later toninght instead of yesterday to let the mehndi stain set and also not have a sudden mishap throughout the day. I washed out my hair wanting it too look it best for tomorrow along with getting the smaller designs of the mehndi washed off after struggling with trying to rub it off. The colour was already dark but I put on the oils they'd given last night to make sure it got as dark as possible before tomorrow. I walked downstairs joining Nani maa to the gurudwara to both ensure arrangements for tomorrow and pray for it to go by just as happy as everything else. She chimes seeing the dark shade on my hands immediately beginning to tell the theories behind it, both equally true in my life. My to be husband loved me enough to take away all the scars from the past and my mother in law.. well she was more of my mother than my own. I sat through being stuffed with the foods being made everywhere around because almost every woman around thought I was sickly starved last night not realizing that Sidharth himself had stuffed me enough. I sighed getting up and joining Maami in their room, taking a look over all the gifts and things she'd put out both for me and Sidharth family. Maa had already tried restricting them but no one listened. It was truly a sight to behold. I'd stood back and watched them bicker over it until Maa finally gave in after Nani maa explained why they were doing it and the fact that it had absolutely nothing to do with dowry. It was more of a punjabi tradition, giving gifts to every single family member along with the ones the girl took herself. I helped her put them into bags moving them into the suitcase right after before I ran out to meet Maa. I wasn't supposed to see Sidharth but there was absolutely no restriction with Maa. I'd made sure she wasn't with him before stepping down the stairs into their part of the hall.

"Good morning Maa" I chimed pulling her into a hug as she continued to talk to the decorator for the last few seconds before turning around to me. "Good morning Bacha" she said back pulling me along to where both Neetu and Preeti di sat.

P - "Haath toh Dekho maa iske, itni dark toh Neetu ki bhi nhi thi. Abhi tak yaad hai kaise poore ghar be dimag khrab kiya tha mera bol bol ke"

N - "Chachi ne iski Delhi toh bhi wohi sab hoga poora din."

I chuckled listening to the further stories as they kept admiring the solid maroon colour, having trouble themselves to find Sidharths name. I was proud of myself to having it hidden well, after all I wanted to make him exasperated while finding it. Another few of his family members joined, gushing over the mehndi the same way along with asking the underlying questions about the next day and what they were supposed to do or when exactly they were supposed to ready with the baraat. I continued talking with them for another few minutes before spotting a reoccurring Sidharth from afar. I almost let out a laugh watching him gesture me to sneak over, his lips pouted like a kid who wasn't getting the toys he asked for. I shook my head passing him a quick glare before falling back into conversation. He tried making his way over, stopped every time by either the workers or some of the relatives spread across the way. He gave me a slightly more exasperated glare before walking off with Mamu and a few of his Friends. I walked over greeting the last batch of my friends and spending the next hour settling and catching them up. Nia ran along me the entire time, Veer hiked up in her arms, much to tired to take another step himself. I took them along to meet Tara and Maahi di upstairs like she'd asked me to do so.

"Di? Aa Jaun?" I ask knocking the door. She turns back smiling profoundly with a nod. The kids walk off instantly towards the little corner of toys while she gestured me to sit in the bed as she looked through her bags of stuff. She sits beside me handing me a small box wrapped in red paper, a small smirk in place of the usual smile.

S - "yeh kya hai di? Aur already it did gift toh de diye abhi iski -"

M - "Yeh alag hai. Isse Abhi mat Kholna, Tum dono k liye hai. Honeymoon pe khol lena, ya ha toh pakka kisi kaam nhi ayega"