Walking in a Person's Shoes

Tigress threw the notepad clear across the room. "ARRGHH!" She roared as she placed her hands on her head. Her loose T-shirt was all frazzled and wrinkled. She was wearing her favorite yoga pants, but she was far from comfortable. She tried her best to figure how to write her novel. But right now she was experiencing the absolute ultimate worst dual combo enemies to writers everywhere. Too much coffee and writer's block. She could not focus, and it wasn't the moving noise of the city streets outside of her apartment. She needed to figure out how to make a sequel to her well-known book, Angelina's Regal Shoes. It had done well for a first book, but many people were demanding a sequel. This is probably the hardest for writers. When a sequel is demanded rather than naturally comes. There was no deadline, but Tigress found it hard to figure out a likable story plot. She had several ideas, but none of them she could focus on. Either the plot was stupid or she had an idea for the end but didn't know how to get there. "I need to get out of the place," Tigress said. She quickly got prepared for outside.

It was cold outside so she wore a tan trench coat. Underneath she had a dark red sweater and black straight legs. Her leather purse rested around her neck. "I'm tired. I need some kind of pick me up," Tigress said to herself. Then she spotted a small shop in the corner of the block. Tigress walked in to see a few customers in the shop. It was a small area. She sat down at the counter stool where she rang the bell. Just then a thump came from the table.

"OW!" A panda emerged from behind the counter.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Tigress apologized.

"Don't worry about it. What can I get for you?" the panda asked. Tigress eyed the panda's name tag. "Po". She shook her head awake. She didn't know why she paid attention to that, but it caused her to say.

"I would like a frappuccino and a large cookie, Po," Tigress said. That surprised both Po and Tigress. She didn't expect to use his name. People don't normally do that. And she did it so naturally that it made sound like they were good friends. Po recovered.

"Oh, coming right up," he said, charging her card and giving her the waiting number. Tigress stared at the panda until he ducked behind the shop. The tiger shook her head. She reached for her notebook and tried to think of another idea. Her eyes wandered from her notebook and back to the panda. Po seemed to have the same problem as well causing him to get frappuccino all over his apron and clothes. "Aw Man!" Po exclaimed. Tigress chuckled behind her notebook. Po went back to the kitchen again and Tigress returned to her writing.

Angelina's Regal Shoes was a book about a princess fighting her way to becoming queen over her brother, who was destined to be king. As Tigress started writing, she noticed that her ideas started to become more like romances. "UGH!" She exclaimed as she tore the piece of paper out.

"Is something wrong, Mrs. Tigress?" Po asked. Tigress looked over her notebook and saw the panda.

"Oh, nothing," Tigress brushed it off, but then she realized something. "How did you know my name?"

"You're the author of my favorite book. My co-worker in the back told me about you," Po explained. Tigress rolled her eyes. She couldn't go anywhere without anyone noticing her. That's the regret she had about putting her photo on the back of the book.

"Oh, yeah. Everything's okay. I'm just having problems making a sequel to my book," Tigress sighed. Po rested his arms on the countertop.

"How come? I mean, I don't know anything about writing novels but I would think writing something as creative and fascinating as Angelina's Regal Shoes would be easy to follow-up," Po said.

"Um..." Tigress was having problems forming words but she didn't know why. She also didn't understand why she was heating up. "It's a little hard to figure out what to have the character do after all of this."

"Well, I know that you'll make something wonderful happen," Po said with a cheesy smile. Tigress offered a small smile. "Oh, here's that frappuccino and the large cookie for you."

"Thank you, Po," Tigress said, taking the cookie and drink. Just then, Po's boss came out. A small old fox lady with half-rimmed glasses that were connected by the band loosely hanging in the back. She looked at Po with a stern face.

"Po, what have I told you about working on your break? Take a 30-minute break, now!"

"Aw!" Po whined as he pulled off his apron. Then an idea came into his head and he blushed. "You... don't mind if I stick around you for a while, do you?"

"No, of course not," Tigress said without thinking. Po nimbly jumped over the counter and sat right onto the stool. "I'm guessing you have to do that a lot?" Tigress smirked.

"Yeah. Trust me, the first time was very messy," Po explained, nervously chuckling. "So, have you figured out anything for this sequel?" Tigress sighed loudly and plopped her head in her hands.

"No, all the ideas I have are so... dumb," Tigress answered.

"They can't be that bad," Po said optimistically. Tigress gave him the notes. Po glanced over some of them. "Oh wow."

"Yeah." Po gave her the notebook back.

"So you're going through writer's block, huh?" Tigress nodded. "You know, there's a way to overcome that." Tigress looked at Po with a confused look. "Or so I've heard."

"What is it?" Tigress asked. What she really wanted to ask is how would he know? Not that Tigress was judging, but what did a cafe worker know about writing?

"Just write through your writer's block. Write about something else. Write nonsense. Write fiction or non-fiction. Just write," Po said. Tigress never thought of that. Usually, she would just take a break from writing and that prevented writer's block. Admittedly, she's never actually had writer's block. For a cafe worker, he knew a fair amount of knowledge for writing. Po seemed to sense Tigress's amazement. "I'm an editor for the local newspaper."

"Then why are you working here?" Editor of the local paper pays a good deal of money.

"One job feeds the pocket. The other feeds the soul," Po said, patting his belly. Tigress laughed. So they talked for a while until Po had to go back to his work. Then he came up with an idea for Tigress. "You know, I always thought that Angelina was often lonely. I mean in an intimate way." Tigress tilted her head sideways.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I know that she's very independent, but sometimes the way she talks makes me think she's lonely," Po explained. "But if she gets someone she likes, she's going to have to be the one asking him on a date."

"Why?"

"Because she's just that head-strong," Po explained.

"I guess so," Tigress said absentmindedly. "Um... hey, Po?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you have anything to do after this?"

"Not really. Why?"

"Um... could you come over... to my place... to help me with the sequel... a bit?" Tigress asked nervously. Po's eyes were widened and his face turned bright red.

"Um... sure," Po said shakily. Tigress quickly wrote her address on her notebook, ripped it out, and gave it to him.

"Okay, see you later," Tigress replied. With that, she left the cafe, writing in her notebook. Po's idea was good and she decided to take it. She would, of course, ask his permission. "Maybe she does need a... significant other," Tigress said to herself.

She wasn't talking about Angelina. ;)

The End