Cards

Po was having a good time with his friends at the shop. He had learned a couple of magic card tricks and was attempting to wow the crowd with them. He had gotten pretty good at it as well. "Pick a card. Any card," Po called out loud. The little duckling picked the card, looked at it, and gave it back to Po. Without looking, Po shuffled the cards around, even making them fly from one hand to the other. He picked the top card and presented it to the duck. "Is this your card?" Sure enough, it was. The crowd celebrated. It proved to be good business for Mr. Ping's shop. Po's card tricks would bring in many customers and after watching his show they would eat at Mr. Ping's shop. Po would also do some magic tricks as well, such as making a coin disappear. He stopped doing that because people thought he was stealing them. So he stuck to card tricks. Po decided to take a break.

"You're doing very well, son," Mr. Ping celebrated, "You're attracting customers by the thousands." Just then, Master Tigress and Master Viper came in. "You're even attracting that girlfriend of yours, the tiger," Mr. Ping wiggled his eyebrows.

"DAD!" Po exclaimed, "We're just friends." Mr. Ping could see the apparent blush in Po's face. When Po turned around, he could see Tigress right in front of him. "OH hi hey!" He stuttered nervously. Viper giggled as Tigress smiled a bit. His clumsy nervous demeanor always made them chuckle a bit. "What are you doing here?"

"We thought we could come to the village's best card master," Viper said smiling. Po rubbed the back of his head with a sheepish grin.

"I'm not that good, really. I only know some of the basics," Po replied.

"Well, your 'basics' seem to be bringing in a lot of attention," Tigress observed.

"Hehe, yeah," Po said.

"Could you show us some tricks," Viper asked.

"Well, I um.."

"Come on, Po," Mr. Ping coaxed him, "You're a good 'master of the cards' as you said. You should show them something."

"First, I was only joking about that. Two, that was something I wanted to be private," Po said to his father, "And third, I don't know which one you want me to do."

"Just show us what you can do," Tigress replied.

"Okay," Po smiled. He shuffled the cards. Tigress noticed some of the cards not in the shuffle. Po seemed to know what she was thinking. "Those cards are all the same. I save them for a trick I haven't done yet. I'm still trying to perfect it. Pick a card," Po said. Tigress and Viper picked a card together. "Now, put the card back in the deck where ever you want." They did so. "Now, I'll make that card appear on the top." So Po shuffled the cards and laid the deck flat on the table. Tigress picked the card on the top. "Is that your card?"

"It isn't," Viper said. Po seemed worried. "I'm kidding, it is." Po's face relaxed.

"Well, that's one of my tricks," Po said, about to put the cards away when Tigress stopped him.

"Wait, what about that trick with the other cards? Why don't you show us that one?" Tigress asked.

"I haven't perfected it yet," Po replied.

"Even a better reason to try it now," Tigress reasoned. Po fidgeted a bit.

"Come on, Po. It's just us. We'll tell you if it works or not," Viper promised with her smile. Po still grimaced.

"Please," Tigress asked with a gentle smile. Po sighed.

"Okay, but if it doesn't work then I'm sorry," Po replied. Po took a card from the untouched deck and presented it to the two masters. "These are blank cards for people to write on. Take the card and write something on the card. Don't tell me either." The two took the card. They thought about what they would do. Then Viper whispered her idea to Tigress.

"What no!"

"Come on, you know you'll like it," Viper teased. Tigress looked back at Po, who had covered his ears so he wouldn't hear them. A mischievous smile rested on her face. Tigress nodded and wrote the inscription on the card. She gave it back to Po. Without looking, Po started shuffling the card in. He shuffled and shuffled them around.

"Phew, I hope this works," He said as he brushed his hand over his head fur. Po shuffled and shuffled. Then he stopped. "Now, if this has worked. Your card is not in here." Tigress and Viper were a little surprised. Po turned over the cards and guided them into a rainbow so they could see all of them. "Do you see your card?" Tigress and Viper looked around.

"No," Viper replied.

"That's because you're not paying attention. Keep looking," Po answered. Viper and Tigress thought they were going crazy. The card wasn't there.

"Sorry, Po," Tigress sighed, "I think the trick didn't work."

"That's because you're still not paying attention. Let me help you. I said 'keep looking'. I also already told you, it wasn't in here. So where is it," Po asked. While Viper kept looking at the cards, Tigress finally noticed Po's 'different' look. When Po had brushed his head fur, he hid the card in his hand and placed it in the crook of his ear. Tigress smiled as she said.

"It's there," She pointed. Po smiled and took the card out of his ear.

"So, is this your card," Po asked.

"Yes," Tigress replied. Po smiled bigger than ever. His trick worked. "And yes, I will." Po was confused. Then he remembered that he asked her to write something on the card. So what did she write? Po turned the card over to see the words, 'Will you go out with me, Tigress?' written on the back. First, Po was surprised that she could write that small, but when he figured out what she wrote, he made a closed mouth scream. He nervously looked at Tigress's and Viper's grinning faces.

"I uh I um... I didn't ...um..."

"So we'll come here tonight then?" Tigress asked.

"What?"

"For the date. I'll be ready in my room around sunset. Do you agree?" Tigress asked with an eager knowledge to know what he would say.

"Um...yes," He stumbled, "I will. I'll have my dad reserve a table for us." Tigress smiled as Viper tried to contain her excitement. Tigress leaned over and kissed Po on the cheek.

"See you tonight, Po," Tigress said as Viper and her left. Po was in a daze. He finally came out of it when a child was pulling his hand to show another card trick.

"Oh sorry! Pick a card any card," Po said. He snatched the cards out of the kid's hands before he could pick one. "No, no, no. Not that one," Po said, placing the card that Tigress had written on away from the deck. That card already got him one of the best nights of his life. He didn't want to misuse it.

The End