The Interview

"Dang it," the wolf muttered under his breath as he walked through the cold streets of New York City. He had forgotten his pen and was greatly annoyed by the fact. Hopefully, he could find a spare pen on the way to his appointment. But first, he had to find a cab. "Hey!" The wolf shouted at the yellow vehicle that slowed to a halt. The gray wolf quickly got into the car and furiously rubbed his hands together for warmth.

"Where to?" Asked the gazelle taxi driver.

"Canal and Lafayette st," the wolf panted. This confused the cab driver but he drove ahead anyway.

"Wouldn't it be easier to take the sub?" He asked. The wolf chuckled a bit as he shook his head.

"Can't risk it. Plus, there's no route to where I'm going. I need to get to the Museum of Chinese in America," The wolf replied.

"Ah! Then I know a route that should be free of traffic," He said as he took a detour to another route.

The wolf sat quietly as the driver drove a different route through the crowded streets. The wolf's name was Jim, a reporter for the local newspaper just outside the city. He had come here because of a special interview that peaked his interest. Though reporting was his job, he was always a little interested in history, especially Chinese. This interview was to be a personal interview with a character that seemed to elicit excitement. Stories of a certain ancient Chinese hero began circulating around the world and finally made their way to America. Though the story was no news to Chinese, it created excitement in Americans that were fascinated with Chinese culture. Or rather "the American Chinese culture." Jim knew that most Americans didn't really know much about other cultures other than what was shown on the TV. On his job, he could see that first hand.

Jim started to smell a familiar smell. He looked in the front to see the driver putting a cigarette in the ash tray. Jim started scratching himself. It had been three months since he quit smoking yet the temptation was still high, especially in the city. The gazelle seemed to notice Jim's nervousness and opened the windows to let "fresh" air in. Jim smiled a hint as they continued down the road. After honking and shouting at the usual number of slow drivers, the cab finally made it to the destination and early too. "Here you go," Jim hastily paid the man and walked into the museum. The museum did not show the artifacts on first sight. A white set of doors covered the way into the real museum. A small fox lady approached Jim.

"My I help you," She asked.

"I am looking for Dr. Chen Ping? I have an appointment with her," Jim replied. The fox nodded and motioned Jim to follow her. They bypassed the entire museum and went through a small door for employees. There Jim could see the see through walls and monitors, looking into the museum. Pots, pans, vases and other ancient artifacts were all stationed throughout the museum. Some parts of it, due to the small size of the building, actually looked like Chinese residences and homes. Suddenly, Jim heard a small crash. The sound of the crash seemed to grieve the fox lady as she and Jim finally came to a door.

"I'll make sure that she's... ready," the fox said to Jim as she disappeared behind the door. Jim heard a lot of rustling before the fox lady came back out. "She's ready to see you. Is there anything I could get for you?" Jim suddenly remembered.

"A pen would be nice," Jim replied. After the lady retrieved a pen for him, Jim stepped into Dr. Chen's office. The office was moderately large compared to his office. On one-half of the room, untouched artifacts, plaques of degrees, and a few manuscripts protected by a glass covering were in neat order. On the other half, it seemed as if the room had been cleaned at a rushed pace. Jim could see a young white tiger trying to put back the last book when Jim spoke up. "Dr. Chen Ping?" The white tiger looked back and started to lose her balance. Before she could fall onto her back, Jim on instinct rushed up to her and caught her in his arms. "Are you okay?" Jim asked as he stood her onto her feet again.