Forgotten Friend

Po was feeling down, and the rain outside wasn't helping. It's interesting how the weather seems to enhance the feelings we have sometimes. Po sighed as the rain came down. "Why?" He asked himself. "Was it something I said? Was it something I did?" Po sat down at the kitchen table and held his head in his hands. He was in a world of uncertainty now. "What did I do wrong?" Po asked himself. Just then, his friends came in. "Oh, hey guys."

"Hey, Po! Your dad wanted us to help clean up some mess that was at the shop," Mantis said. Po was about to get up, but Tigress held him down.

"Don't worry, it was just a... experimental accident. He wanted to start serving wine and other things. But they proved to be too much for him," Tigress explained. Po stopped for a moment then continued to get up.

"I might as well make sure he's fine," Po said going out the door. Viper noticed the sad demeanor of Po as he left.

"Guys? Does Po seem a little... sad to you?" Viper asked. They nodded.

"Maybe we should figure out what's going on when he comes back up," Crane said. Meanwhile, Po was talking with his dad.

"Why would you try selling those drinks?" Po asked.

"More business, I thought. But anyway, I think I'll just stick with my secret ingredient noodle soup," Mr. Ping happily said. Po shook his head. He looked all around. It was when his eyes caught sight of a picture that made him frown. He gingerly looked at the painting. Po sighed and went upstairs. He placed the painting underneath his bed and went back downstairs. "Well, it's nice to see that the rain's stop," Mr. Ping noticed. Po looked up. He had forgotten all about the rain. "You must have had a long walk down. Here, have some food."

"Thanks, Dad," Po smiled. While the goose was getting some food, Po decided to help around the shop. "Hello, we're serving our special-" Po stopped short when he got a good look at the female fox's face. She looked at him wondering why he stopped.

"Um... sir," She asked. Po snapped out of his daze.

"Sorry, I... I thought you looked like someone I remember," Po said. "I'll take your order now." By routine, Po was able to take the order, but his blunder made him even more depressed.

"Here you go son," Mr. Ping smiled. He noticed his son's sad face. "Po, what's wrong?"

"Huh? Nothing Dad, I'm just... I'm just a little tired I guess," Po said. That was true, Po did feel a little drained. It must have been the rain. With that, Po ate his food and went back up the steps. At the top of the steps, Tigress and Crane were waiting for him. "Tigress? Crane? What are you doing here?"

"We were waiting for you. It's night time," Tigress said. Po looked around. He hadn't even noticed it was night time. "And we have to ask you a question."

"What's that?" Po asked. Crane and Tigress looked at each other.

"Po," Crane started. "We want you to be honest with us. We're concerned about you. You've been down ever since morning."

"What's the matter, Po?" Tigress asked. Po sighed. He might as well come out with it. He sat down, resting his side on the first set of steps. Crane and Tigress sat down on the top. Crane's feet dangle from the top step and Tigress sat in a sitting lotus position.

"Do you think I'm a good friend?" Po asked them. Tigress and Crane looked as if they had been asked if they were really a cat and a bird.

"Of course, you're a great friend. Why would you ask such a question," Tigress asked. Po was silent for a while.

"Her name was Mai. She was a fox," Po started. "She had some... troubled past and I wanted to help her. We became fast friends. She was actually the first girl I ever invited over my house."

"Did you ever want to be more?" Crane asked. Both Tigress and Po glared at him.

"No," Po replied plainly. "I just wanted to be her friend. She was quiet when I first met her but then she showed her happy giddy side. It was honestly shocking. Anyways, I would help her with boyfriend troubles, education, life stuff. I was surprised at how fast we had become friends. Then after ten months, she never talked to me again."

"Why?"

"I don't know." Po sighed again, "I keep wondering if I did something wrong. Did I accidentally cross a boundary? Did I say or do something I wasn't supposed to?" Po's arms sagged as he propped up his weight on his arm to lift the side of his belly up from the hard steps.

"Maybe it wasn't anything you did," Tigress suggested.

"Yeah, it could be that she moved unexpectedly and she didn't get time to tell you. She could be with a boyfriend or too busy-"

"But why didn't she tell me then. Look," Po said, standing up from the stairs altogether. "I know what it's like for friends to leave me. If she were too busy or had a boyfriend she would have told me and I wouldn't have expected anymore talking after that. I understand that. I would understand if she had moved or some family thing happened. But she didn't tell me any of that. One day she just stopped talking to me altogether. Every time I send the messenger, he says the person would receive it. Why didn't I hear anything from her then?" Po stopped when he realized that he was shouting. He sighed. "That's why I'm asking you guys if I'm a good friend."

"Po," Tigress started, "you are an amazing friend that would do things for people that most friends wouldn't even do. Regardless of what happened between you and Mai, you are a great friend." Po finally smiled.

"Yeah, and who knows, maybe Mai is just with other friends. But I think that when she needs you, you'll be there like you always are with us," Crane smiled. Po hugged the bird and tiger at the same time.

"Thanks, guys," Po said. "So where's everyone?"

"They're off to sleep. Why don't you go off with them?" Crane said. Po nodded and went to bed. "Now you."

"Me?" Tigress said in a questioning voice.

"Yes, you. Why were you upset when I asked if Po wanted to be more than friends with Mai?" Crane asked. Tigress glared at the crane.

"I don't ask why you always watch Viper train," Tigress said, brushing passed an embarrassed Crane. "You need to learn when to mind your own business, Crane."

"Yeah, I think you're right," Crane sheepishly grinned.

The End

Taken from a real life experience.