Who's Your Favorite?

It was an ordinary discussion between Master Shifu and the Dragon Warrior. Po and Shifu were in the kitchen of the barracks eating lunch. The Furious Five had gone down to the village to help Po's father out with the moving in (his real father). Po chose to do some last training with Master Shifu. As much as he hated training, Po noticed a subtle theme going on. If Po didn't learn something the easy way through Master Shifu's training, he would most likely learn the hard way through nearly dying and defeating a seemingly undefeatable foe. After their training, Shifu and Po decided to eat lunch. It was during this casual eating that Po asked Master Shifu a question. "Master Shifu, who's your favorite Kung Fu master?" The red panda's ear twitch, signaling that he was listening, but he still ate his food. He was silent for a moment then said,

"I could tell you that all masters have equal importance to me and I don't have any favorites, but that's simply not the truth," Master Shifu replied. "But you know that my favorite master is Master Yao."

"Right, silly question," Po chuckled. Master Shifu smiled as he continued eating.

"Let me ask you, Dragon Warrior," Master Shifu asked, "Which master is your favorite?"

"Come on, Master Shifu," Po said, "That's kind of hard to do, especially in front of you. You're the only master I've had. Well, that and my father, Mr. Ping, if you count master of noodles." Master Shifu chuckled.

"Let's say I'm not in the count," Shifu said. Po thought about it for a while.

"I guess it would be Master Oogway. He was the one who helped me stick with the training when I first came here and he helped me in the spirit realm," Po explained. Shifu nodded his head in agreement.

"Yes, I would choose him as well," Master Shifu said with a far off look. His attention was brought back when Po was noisily slurping his soup.

"Okay then, who is your favorite person of the Furious Five," Po asked. Master Shifu seemed confused by that question.

"Why would you ask me that?"

"Well, I've always been curious if you actually had a favorite student among them," Po said.

"I appreciate and I am proud of all my students. I don't have any favorites," Shifu replied.

"Really," Po asked, surprised.

"Why is that surprising?"

"Well, I would think that you would have at least one favorite. Especially considering that one of them you practically raised," Po explained. Shifu finally understood what he was talking about. He looked around.

"Don't tell anyone this, Po. I do have one favorite," Shifu said. "And it is Tigress."

"Why don't you want me to tell anyone?" Po asked. Shifu flinched remembering something. Po could only guess one thing. "Tai-Lung?" Shifu nodded. The only reason Po was able to guess was that he and Master Shifu had developed a close student-teacher relationship.

"I... let my pride get in the way of correcting what Tai-Lung would become. As a result, I would raise one of the greatest villains in the world. I'm strict on the others, especially you, because I don't want that happening again," Master Shifu sighed.

"But it won't," Po said, trying to cheer his master up.

"How do you know that?" Shifu asked.

"Because you've trained us well," Po smiled. Shifu smiled back. They continued eating their food. Then Shifu's brow formed a questioning look.

"Who is your favorite?"

"Huh?"

"Who is your favorite among the Furious Five," Master Shifu replied. Po became excited yet slightly hesitant.