Chapter 9

The weeks went by like crazy. I had been so busy with school, the guys and everything in between that I'd forgotten today was Sungmin's birthday!

I got out of bed STAT, ran into the kitchen to find Ryeowook already cooking up some birthday breakfast.

"Good, you're awake, want to help me bake the cake?" He motioned towards the box of cake mix.

I quickly put on an apron and started baking, without saying a word.

"There's been something I've been wanting to talk to you about, Penny." He said. He looked around to make sure no one else was around, luckily everyone was still asleep.

I inched closer to him, he seemed serious.

"I know something's going on with you and Donghae."

"What are you talking about? Are you talking about last night's party? It was hardly a peck, three seconds tops!" I explained last night occurrence to him.

It was New Year's eve, we threw a party between all of us to celebrate the ending of a crazy year. I had officially been living with them for about three months now, more or less, so everyone was pretty comfortable around me.

The party went a little wild, there were a couple heavy drinkers, and they ended up inviting a few girlfriends over.

Everyone was doing their own thing, even Donghae and I.

Over the course of the few months I'd lived there we got to know each other on different levels, of course being quiet about the whole thing.

I learned that he could hardly ever sleep, so he'd sneak into my room late at night to play cards or watch a movie. He learned a good amount about me as well. How much I loved milk and cookies before going to bed, how much I liked to read fantasies and love stories, and above all else, how obsessed I was with listening to music.

Our interests weren't too similar, but we were both willing to try a few of those things out, like icky seafood. I tried to do a whole lot of pouting to get out of that one.

At the party, we hung out like we did when we were around the rest of the group, very low key flirting. By the time the countdown to the new year came rolling, he quickly grabbed my hand before Sungmin did.

As the clock struck the last time, I looked up at him, smiling, and said, "You've got something in your teeth."

He showed me his teeth gesturing that I take it out for him. Instead I decided it was the perfect moment to press my lips to his. I didn't really think twice about it. I just pictured it and did it. He had no objection to it, and pressed harder. We both pulled away quickly, realizing everyone was around. A few had noticed, I hoped it had been the drunk ones.

The rest of the night went back to its normality, just hanging out casually.

"Penelope, you can tell me anything. You can trust me." Ryeowook layed his hand on my shoulder.

I bit my lip.

"Can I tell you when we're in a more private setting?" 

He nodded. 

I put the cake mix in the oven for the forty-five necessary minutes. While that was getting settled, Ryeowook handed me a cup of jello and a spoon. We were smiling, quietly enjoying each other's company. I loved that we didn't find the need to talk just for the sake of not making things awkward. 

"ACHOO!" 

A sneeze came from the living room, trailing behind it was its owner, Kyuhyun. Slouching and dragging his feet, he entered the kitchen.