Chapter 86

I stopped chewing.

Damon stopped chewing.

Latifah gently set her cup down.
We all stared at James, waiting for him to go on.

We'd known that Evelyn had gone MIA for a while. At first it seemed like a cause for alarm, but we'd been informed that Evelyn sometimes went on nature retreats. Sometimes she'd disappear for months on end.
And since there was no evidence of a break in at her place, no signs of struggles or intruders around our lands, we were inclined to believe it.

Even at that, being so cool about her sudden disappearance didn't feel right. But I couldn't help it, nothing nagged at my mind, or anyone else's for that matter, that she was in danger.
And James' next words confirmed it.

"She returned last night." He continued. "The scouts saw her return to her cottage. She seemed unharmed."

I was relieved.
Evelyn was okay, she really did just leave on a retreat.
Maybe next time she should give us a warning though. She's been gone for quite a while, if it hadn't been for Rose, after multiple search parties had returned unsuccessfully, I would have believed something bad happened to her.

Damon narrowed his eyes slightly, seemingly not relieved. "Go on." He urged James, whom, now that I look at him well, still seemed to have something else to say.
"She hasn't uttered a single word Alpha. She just stares on in silence. We tried to question her all night about where she'd been but she gave us no response. We are not even sure if she can hear us in the first place."

Damon clenched his jaws slightly, processing the little info he'd just gotten.
"Is this a normal thing for her?" He asked turning to me. I shrugged. I had absolutely no idea why she'd be giving anyone the silent treatment.
Granted, she isn't much of talker in the first place, but refusing to speak when spoken to? Especially after having been gone for so long?
I didn't think it was normal.

"Seers have been known to go into prolonged periods of silence sometimes after some alarming visions." Latifah suggested. "But Evelyn being a witch makes me unsure whether those instances collide."

"In either case, I'll have to go have a talk with Mrs. Brenner." That's Rose. Damon was just too formal at times.
"Find out if she's done something like this before and then I'll go and see her."

James nodded.

"Do you have men watching her?" He asked James.

"Yes Alpha, two of them, stationed outside her place, to make sure she doesn't wander off again."

"Good. You already had breakfast?"

"Not yet. No."

"Then grab a plate and sit down. There's enough here."

I smiled and patted the seat right next to me and James walked over to sit. "Thank you." He said while taking his seat.
Laftifah had already come round with a cup of coffee for James. She set it on the table in front of him and he thanked her quietly for the cup.
I watched him as he put in two cubes of sugar and a whole lot of milk, making his dark steamy beverage very creamy and light.

"Mavis is so gonna be angry that you had breakfast without her." I teased.

"I highly doubt that. She's probably still asleep." He told me taking a sip of his coffee. "She's been knocked out since yesterday. Right after lunch. She's been sleeping like a log since."

"Even up to now?" I laughed. I thought I could sleep for ages, she's obviously beaten me to it.

"Yeah, when I left this morning she was still sleeping, only regained consciousness for two seconds to grunt 'get bagels' at me." He laughed shaking his head at her. I joined him.
Mavis and food. Even in the midst of her deep slumber she could make requests for food.