Chapter 106

Fight day.

It was today.
A week later has felt like a year.

But it's finally here.
I lay awake in bed staring at the ceiling.
I didn't want to sleep, but Damon insisted, he said I need rest to be at my best today.

So I'm here at 2am trying to rest since sleep has inadvertently evaded me, while Damon paces all over the house, doing goodness knows what.

He's restless, I know.
We all are.

Even though we don't actually leave until 4pm, it's been impossible to relax.
I haven't slept for almost two days now, but sleep was so far from me.

I was going to take the lead. Locate the 'sanctuary' as they call it, by myself, and then have Damon and the rest follow my trail a little while later.

How was I feeling right now?
Scared?

No.

Anxious?

Yes. I want to get it over with.

Angry?

Well, let's just say that whatever we have planned for them, they've got it coming.

I spoke to Sorayah on the phone yesterday, she's already trying to make it back but I'm not sure what time she'll get here.

It's now or never though.

They are expecting me today. Not in the capacity in which I plan to arrive.
At least I hope not.

We took all major precautions.
Only those directly involved in today's event know what is going on. Even the warriors staying behind to defend the pack while the Alphas are away don't all know what exactly is happening.

And only Damon, Evelyn and I know what my real plan is. The rest will be there to support in whatever way we need. They all understand, the less people know the better.

I made sure to check for scarring every time I spoke with someone, and tested even further. So many people had been poked and prodded by me this week, but it was all necessary. We couldn't take any chances.

If they know what I'm up to, there's a slight chance it wouldn't work.
Even if they did though, I would strive to make sure it worked.

It just had to.

How are you feeling?

Prepared.

Good. Good.

As I lay down, continuing to stare at the ceiling I let out a deep breath.

My mind was wandering, racing, and wandering really far.

I'm being optimistic.

But if things don't-

Don't even think about that.

But if I-

Don't.

Shouldn't I at least tie up all my loose ends? Leave some letters? Write a will maybe?

Okay first of all, don't be ridiculous. We are not dying. Also, you own practically nothing, what do you plan on leaving for who?

I just want everyone to be okay, no matter what happens today.

So fight and make it out alive and they will.

Despite my resolve, I took out my phone, opened my camera and hit record.

And I hope I'll make it back to delete it myself.

***

I woke up with a start.

Checking the bedside clock I saw that it was 3:15 am.
Great, I fell asleep for like thirty minutes and I managed to have a nightmare.

I don't even remember what I dreamt about.

And I realised that even though I was awake I was still feeling slightly petrified. I was restless and I knew that this wasn't natural.
Was I having a panic attack?

But why?
I wasn't even-

I shot up from bed.

It wasn't me.

It these restless emotions aren't mine.

I got up and immediately starting looking for Damon.

After I'd checked his study, the kitchen and the living room I realised he wasn't even in the house.
I found him in the backyard, far behind the pool towards the shed, staring off into the distance.

He posture was rigid and he was slightly tense.

"Damon?"
I called out once I was behind him.

He immediately spun around.

Yes, very tense.

His eyes were glowing bright, his breathing harsh and I could feel his heart racing from a mile away.

"Damon, what's wron-"

"You can't do this."

What?

"What do you mean?"

"You can't do this. Go there, fight them."

I sighed.

"We've been through this Damon. I can and I have to."

"No, you shouldn't have to do this."
He was the one having having the panic attack.
Or whatever was happening right now.

I sighed again and pulled him into me.
He was still as stiff as a board, not moving , just breathing harshly.
I continued to hold him, trying to get him to calm down until he finally relaxed and sunk his head into the crook of my neck holding me tight.

Maybe a bit too tight.

Shut up. We love being constricted.

I held unto him and allowed him to hold me for a while.
A long while. As long as he needed.
As long as it wasn't till 4pm.

His heart rate finally seemed to come back to normal along with his breathing.

We pulled back and I looked at him.

His eyes were back to normal but still slightly distraught.
"I don't want to lose you."

I pulled him in for another hug. This time I needed it.
We both did.

It was going to happen today.
We were going to carry out all our plans today. And with luck, tomorrow by this time we might be in the same spot, embracing each other because we won.