Chapter 94

"We need to leave here now."
Evelyn said to me, the look in her eyes desperate.

"Leave? To where?"

"Whatever put the hold on you would be coming back here Adrianne, you can't stay here. You're in danger."

"Wha- I," this was all too sudden. Where would we be going to anyway? And if it was that strong, wouldn't it find us anywhere we went?

Evelyn looked out, staring into the distance, as if sensing impending danger.

The hairs on my arms were begining to stand.
Was something coming?

"Adrianne, we must leave now," She said coming to take a hold of my arm, "Alpha Damon can hold them off until-"

I froze in place.

All feelings of anxiousness just washed away and a cold feeling just took over.

I felt a drain in my arm where she held me.
And unlike the first or second time this happened, which I could suddenly remember so clearly, I was fully aware of what just happened.

She drained me.

I stood there staring at Evelyn, then looked down on the hand that was still holding me.

Damon stepped towards us, watching us carefully, not sure of what was going on.

Evelyn paused in her frantic movements, slowly withdrawing her hand from mine and stepping away.
But I held on to her this time, and in particular her right arm that was merely covered by a light scarf that she'd draped around her shoulders.

Without taking my eyes off her, I turned her arm around. Turning the inside of her arm towards me and moving the scarf aside.

She kept a straight look on her face as she regarded me, with a slightest hint of confusion.

It had been only a glimpse but I caught it. Staring down at her arm, I looked at the four long scratch marks lining it.
The festered, probably infected and still unhealing scratch marks.

I could see how Damon regarded her arm from the corner of my eye, but I was too busy staring at Evelyn. I looked up at her, and her eyes registered some sort of resignation.
Like she was done trying to keep up the pretense.

Good, I was tired of falling for it.

I'd been so stupid.

And now I was just angry.

"Sarah."

In that moment her stance changed, her eyes hardened and she took another step back, yanking her hand away.

She didn't say anything, she didn't deny it. But I didn't need her to confirm it either, because I knew.

I knew now.

I could feel Damon's growl reverberating within him as we both watched her change skin. Her face literally morphed into something else, as Evelyn's pale white skin disappeared, and a more tan one took its place, the wounds though, following, from skin to skin, like they couldn't be shaken off.

Now in front of us stood Sarah.
The woman I believed had been my aunt. Maybe she even was.

The same woman who had been slowly poisoning me with her tea.
What I didn't understand though was how she'd been able to do what she just did, and how she'd been able to pull the wool over our eyes for so long.

"What are you?" I asked her, my voice unnaturally calm, especially for the current situation I found myself in.

This woman, that I believed was a wolf, just literally shape-shifted into another person entirely, right before my eyes.

Did shape shifters like this really exist, or did she use some strange form of magic to steal Evelyn's face? And why Evelyn? And where was she going to take me to?

And then it clicked, for like the tenth time today.

For some reason, she hadn't bolted or tried to get away from us yet.
Maybe it's because she knew she didn't have to run.

Maintaining eye contact and stepping forward I retracted my claws. I could feel them extending from their nail bed as I tried my best not to fully shift, my wolf super agitated and wanting to rip someone's head off.

In one swift swipe, I reached forward, grabbed her arm and clawed her hand. Leaving just one medium length incision on the back of her hand.

She snatched her hand away immediately, hissing at me.
Actually hissing. A hiss that sounded far too familiar even though I'd heard it just once. The sound echoed in my head.

So it was no surprise that when I brought my hand up, it wasn't blood that greeted me.
It was a thick translucent substance.
Her blood was a clear thick fluid.

Just like that night at the border, when I met the shadowy figure.

When I clawed the shadowy figure, and it vanished into thin air.

The very same night she arrived.

"It's you. You're the thing," my breath started to become ragged, "that, thing that attacked me."

I guess at this point in his quiet storm, the word 'attacked' is all he needed to hear to now want to rip her head off.

Realising that, Sarah made a move to get away. Damon stepped forward but before he got the chance to even grab her she was already in the air.

Being suspended purely by the grip I had on her neck.

What time I made a move to grab her, I'm not sure, all I knew was that I was angry and hurt and she'd been the cause of it.

I was so enraged that I almost didn't notice the sounds, or lack thereof, that was coming from Damon's direction.
Having turned my head slightly to look at him I saw that he stood still, his face turning red, his body beginning to tremble slightly.

He wasn't breathing.

He looked like he wanted to fight it but couldn't do anything, not even the simplest thing such as an exhale.

And looking at the woman still suspended in my grip and the vicious look she was giving him, I knew she was causing it.
How, I wasn't sure, but it was her.

I instantly tightened my grip on her causing her to look back at me, and as soon as she did I heard Damon cough and fall to his knees.
But he was breathing again.
He was breathing.

Choking and hissing at me as I tightened my grip further, I slammed her against the door, the hard wood croaking from the force.
My claws started protruding out again, piercing into her grimy flesh, more of that thick clear fluid gushing out.
Her hands engaged in a futile effort of prying mine off.

"You're gonna be sorry for what you did. For everything you did." I told her, increasing the pressure to the point where I heard cracking and she started coughing up the nasty liquid too.

The fluid burned as it made contact with my skin, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.
I'd caused another sickening crack in her neck and her face was turning a shade of grey now. How she was even still conscious was beyond me.

She then looked at me with the same viciousness she had done with Damon earlier, and I almost waited for the lack of breath that would follow but I also somehow knew it wouldn't come.
And it didn't.

Her eyes bulged out in that moment and I thought I saw actual fear on her face, and all I saw was red.

But just like that, I had her in my grip and then she literally turned into a shadow and disappeared.

No puff of smoke, no bright light, no gust of wind.

She just turned into a shadow and vanished, like she had never been here in the first place.