Chapter 59

I tried to make my way out of that room as quickly and delicately as possible.

I had almost completely healed but I was still slightly sore. And I also felt quite dizzy being up on my feet.
So I had to make sure I took my time walking so as not to injure myself further. But also not get caught.

And I made sure that I packed a few pillows under the duvet to buy me extra time.

Real smart. My wolf had finally woken up.

Thank you.

And just like that, I was out of the room, but not without taking a mouthful of the food that was brought.

I slipped into what I believed was a hallway.
But it had an eerie feel to it.

There were weird ornaments hanging from the ceiling, old vases decorating the blue lit hallway.

And what creeped me out the most was the ancient oil paintings of people that hung on the walls, whose eyes seemed to watch my every move.
I snuck down the hallway towards a frosted glass door.

I could make a blurry image of a room further ahead filled with sunlight.
I opened the door and true, my face was instantly bombarded with rays of sunlight.

After my eyes had readjusted to the light, I peeked around.
I was like five feet away from a spiral staircase.

It led like three floors down.

From where I was standing I could see part of what I believed to be a huge living room.

More oil paintings adorned the walls, flicking across my peripheral line of vision as I slowly made my way downstairs, careful not to run into anyone.
It was mostly quiet here. And I was hoping that if I did run into any girl, they'd want me gone bad enough to just let me slip out.

I studied each painting briefly on my way down but there was one that caught my attention.

I was halfway down the stairs when I saw it. And I paused.
It was a painting of a girl.
I stepped closer to observe it further.

Oddly enough, she bore some resemblance to me.
It's just that she had straight black hair.

I walked even closer to the painting, intrigued by the girl, and I realized that her pictures were littered all across the hallway on the second floor.

I had a strange feeling at the back of my mind.
What's her name again?

Ah, Melody.

Wow, you can remember her name and not his?

Who cares?
She had brown eyes just like mine.
But even though her lips held a small smile, her eyes were sad.
They seemed to be holding a million secrets, dark secrets.

And her eyes, they were telling me something I couldn't quite grasp.

Run.

Okay now you're exaggerating.

Maybe.
But I did anyway.
And soon enough I was downstairs.

I saw a little old lady at the far end holding a large pot, large enough to obscure her view, walking towards a room I assume was the kitchen.

I tried to hide myself to prevent her seeing me but then I didn't have time to find a spot.

So I just crouched down behind nothing in particular, pressing myself against a wall, shut my eyes and blocked myself out.

Are you an ostrich?!

If I make any sudden movements she might see me using her peripheral vision. But if I stay still, she might think I'm furniture.
Stupid, I know.