Chapter 107

I'd committed the place to memory. I knew exactly where they were. And even if I didn't, they'd find me. They were expecting me. But they certainly weren't expecting me in the capacity in which I was going. And even if they were, they were in for a ride regardless.
This ends today. It ends now.

Walking further I started to notice the trees with the strange markings again. This was it, I was approaching dark woods territory.
The etchings were barely visible, probably wearing away over the years or in their case probably decades, the bark protesting against this violation to its skin.

I've known for a long time how I act under pressure, and I've known for a shorter while how my wolf acts under pressure. Right now I wasn't acting like anyway I've acted before. I wasn't shaking with apprehension or nerves, and I didn't have a rapid heartbeat filled with determination or wild aggression.

I was just calm. Still.

But I was blazing with fury.
I could feel the ice cold flames wrap themselves around my heart, my wolf and around me.
I could even feel the darkness too, the darkness I felt just once before, the day I attacked Damon. The darkness that Damon said he's fought so hard to control.

Well today I didn't need control. I was going to fight with everything I had. And I would end this. One way or another.
Calm methodical steps led me to the hedge. The hedge that was apparently spelled to keep everyone out, except me that is. That's how I found it the first time anyway.
Again their magic failed them when it came to me, or maybe they planned it, who knows. Either way, I could still get through, and I did. I stepped through.

And one of my least favorite parts of the plan, I took a long thick strand of hair in my hand. I made sure it was from a place that could easily be concealed. Then I pulled it out, which was surprisingly really really hard to do.
When did my hair get this strong?
After settling on a couple of strands instead I painfully yanked them out and wrapped them around a flower on the hedge and then continued my journey.

The marker has been set.
After stepping through I was immediately hit with a nasty scent.
Were there rotting bodies here? The place distinctly smelt like rotting fish.

I walked further into the field, getting shrouded by more more thick trees until I reached the clearing.
It looked exactly like how I remembered it in the brief moment I saw it the first time.
Except there were no floating figures watching me.
Well, no visible floating figures.
I knew they were near.

"I'm here. You can come out."

I kept my head facing straight ahead, but my eyes scanned all around me to spot where they'd pop out of.

I got no response.

I called out again. But still nothing.
Are they trying to stand me up?
Or are they up to something?

It was getting hard to reign in my wolf, I was mad. I was angry and impatient. Where were they?

I walked further to where I'd seen them float the last time and yelled at the top of my lungs. "I'm here! I came just like you asked!" I shouted in no direction in particular. What was the meaning of this? "You better show your face you vile creature." I muttered deciding to get quiet and listen for sounds instead.

They wouldn't be walking yes, but maybe I could catch different sounds. The rattle of leaves, the whoosh of the winds as it bends around their hidden forms.

The sun was high in the sky. Even though I was greatly shaded by the thicket of trees here I could still see the rays peak through.
Or do they not like the sun? They are shadow creatures.

Angrily I turned around and punched the air. How much longer do I have to wait for them? I thought they needed me?

Are they planning something?
My mind was beginning to spin.
If they aren't here, where would they be?