Chapter 77

Three months.
Three months had quietly gone by. With no incidents or strange sightings.
It's just been a peaceful three months.
Winter in full swing.

Today was a snowy day. I watched on with a small smile as the tiny specs of snow gently floated to the damp ground. Swirling in the wind whichever way it blew them.

I saw some kids playing around, some busy trying to make snow angels in the snow that wasn't actually thick enough to make snow angels in.
What the little girl, Millie, accomplished was making a mud angel instead. I tried not to laugh as I thought about how her mother was going to freak out when she returned home completely covered in mud.
What a sight that would be.

Training has been going on quite a lot lately. More so for me than for anyone else. Damon has been on my tail, literally, almost every morning to go out and get some work in.
Running, camouflaging, combat, stalking, evasion tactics, probably everything he can think of.
Even solo hunting, for larger game than just rabbits.

Now, I'm a reasonably sized wolf, in fact, Damon noticed the other day that my wolf had grown considerably. I tried not to be offended since he basically called me fat.

You know he didn't say that. I've grown, we've grown. We're becoming bigger, faster and stronger.

Not strong enough.
Where was I? Ah, yes. I'm a reasonably sized wolf, a little larger now but not as big as Damon.
So, I try to only prey on things that are ninety to fifty percent smaller than I am. This includes, rabbits, squirrels, grasscutters, and deer with no antlers that can take my eyes out.

So you can imagine my absolute horror when one morning, he asked me to hunt down a bear.
A live, full sized bear.

"A what?"
"A bear." He repeated with a straight face.

"A grizzly? You want me, to hunt down, a grizzly bear?"
He looked to contemplate it for a second and then he nodded, "Yes."

I resisted the urge to flip him unto the ground for that.
Yes, I can do that now. Easily.

You've done it only twice.

Shut up.

I took in a breath, "As much as I'd love to do that, as you can see by the copious amount of snow around us," I gestured towards our surroundings and the fact that our feet were completely buried in snow, and flakes were still falling all around us. "It should be quite obvious that the bears are all still in hibernation."

"That should make it easier for you to find one then." He stated. Still looking completely serious.
"What? You just want me to enter a cave and try and take out a sleeping bear?" He was losing his mind. There was no way I was doing that.

"That wouldn't be much of a hunt and kill now would it?"
I don't know how I looked at him but in that moment I was begining to get exasperated.

"So what would you have me do? Throw a stone at it and hope it wakes up before I allow the bear to mangle me?"

"I would suggest that you do not allow the bear to mangle you, seeing that grizzlys can be quite strong. That would be one choke hold that you won't be able to get out of." And he looked very serious while saying all that nonsense to me.
Which made me believe he actually was being serious.

I blinked.
Once. Twice. Thrice.
He blinked once, still unmoving.

"I thought you wanted me to live." I asked him with my mouth probably hanging open slightly.

He kept staring at me with a straight face trying to look as serious as possible and then he let out a small chuckle shaking his head at me.
"Relax." He smiled while gauging my stance. Probably the stance of a defeated girl going to get herself killed all in the name of mindless training. "I'm kidding."