Chapter 92

Standing outside with Mavis and the rest, we were just having some fingerfood as we watched the night's festivities die down.

There were even a couple of children lighting some firecrackers in the sand pit.
That was something nice to look at.

Darryl, who had already gotten fond of Mara, his supposed 'replacement' as he put it, was busy telling her a story about Ryan which, judging by the redness in his cheeks, was an embarrassing one. Mara just laughed while stealing glances at Ryan who was staring at this brother, probably willing him to evaporate.
I glanced at Ryan again, hmm, more like disintegrate.

I'm pretty sure I'd heard the story before since that was Darryl's favorite pass time, embarrassing his brother, and I caught a couple of snippets of the story here and there, but right now I was a little more focused on the conversation Mavis was having with Aliyah and Raven.

"Oh, so you're from Ohio?" Raven asked looking at Aliyah.
"No, not really, we lived there for a while, but we're originally from Carlifornia."

"Why'd you leave?" Mavis asked taking a sip of her drink before placing it back down on the table.
Taking a mini kebab from the tray, I continued listening on in silence.

I was engaged in the conversation mostly, but I was also still on some sort of high from everything that had happened earlier.

Damon and Latifah had gone with Sorayah to go and see Evelyn.
I wanted to go with them, but they insisted that at least one of us should stay here.

So all the while I was standing here, my mind was also back at Evelyn's hut, wondering what was going on and if she was okay.

I noticed Mara's attention shift from Darryl to her sister as she spoke, and now we were all just listening to her.

"Our pack, kinda uhm,..." she fumbled for words, "fell apart, and we couldn't stay anymore so we left, we've lived in many places since then." She shrugged off.

"Our pack which just consisted of our dad and us." Mara added.

"You haven't been in a real pack before?" Raven asked looking between Mara and Aliyah.

"Apart from our pack of three, no, we haven't really settled anywhere since we left Carlifornia, it's a long story."

"What about your dad?" I asked her.

For a moment she seemed to zone out, far away all of a sudden, "An even longer story." She said and smiled taking a last drink from her cup.

The look on Ryan's face as he watched them made me think he already knew part, if not all, of this long story.

"So it's been just the two of you? Travelling all around?" Raven asked, her eyes bright like she was imagining a life like that. "That must be awesome, I haven't left this place since I was born." She pouted.

"Well, I wouldn't say awesome," Aliyah laughed. "But it was cool."

"Yeah, especially Italy, that was my favorite."

"You guys went to Italy?" Darryl asked.

"Yeah, we stayed in Europe for quite a while before returning, so we had the chance to see a couple of places."

"I wish you could take me with you. I'm tired of only travelling in my head." That was Raven again, this statement made us laugh.

"Tell me about it." Mavis muttered still laughing.

"Well, I guess we've had our fair share share of travels to last for a lifetime, but we're done now." Mara said.
But the way she said it with the look she gave her sister made me think it was more like a question, or maybe even a plea.