Chapter 45

If I thought the house was lonely and sad before, it was nothing compared to this.

Words simply cannot describe the feeling.
Pain is actually hanging in the air.

And no one knows about it.

Only the five of us.

Damon, Latifah, Marcus, Mildred the nurse who was hired to take care of Anastasia, and I.

Damon refused to declare her dead, but she was.

Gone.

Latifah refused to eat.

Damon shut everyone out even more than before.

He wouldn't even come out of his room.

He hasn't for the past eight days.

As for me, I guess I was just stuck in Zombie mode after I was all cried out. It was all just too much to actually handle.

"Adriane."

"Yeah?" I had just walked into Latifah's room where she lay on her bed.
She had a small smile on her face but it was very clear that she was forcing it.

Isn't it strange how a person can age twenty years in just two weeks?

She had grown so lean since, she could hardly eat anything.

She had lost so much, and now Anastasia was gone too.

Poor girl.

She couldn't survive.
She couldn't fight the poison for long.
She was barely even five.
Remembering the last time I saw her awake and vibrant just crushed my spirit even further.

Like I couldn't actually believe that she was gone.
I sighed.

"You know its okay, you don't have to feel bad for me." Latifah spoke up.
"I deserve everything that's coming to me. This is just life's way of paying us back for all the harm that Damon caused to all those innocent lives. Your pack included. And I wasn't able to stop him or correct him. I deserve all of this." Latifah said staring out of her window.
It was day outside, a bright and beautiful day.

But all our hearts and minds were cloudy and stormy.
There was no sunshine here.

Latifah looked all cried out. Her eyes puffy and red, and her face sunken and hollow.
How does one recover from all this?
All she did now was blame herself for what was happening.

"Latifah, no, don't speak like that, its not your f-" Directly or indirectly causing the chain of events that led up to this moment is still not enough for her to carry the blame of what has happened solely on her shoulders.

"No, Adriane really. Its okay. I can live with it. But I doubt Damon can." She said looking back at me. "He's lost too much already. Please do me a favor and check on him, let him eat something."

What?
Me?

When has he ever listened to me?

"Please just try, he's just hurt." She read my facial expression and probably figured out that going to his room was not really on my want-to-do list.

"I don't know..." I trailed off.

"Please." She pressed and gave me a pleading look.

And that's how I ended up on my way to my impending doom.
To his room.

I knocked on his door and waited for him to say something. Probably along the lines of 'Go away' or 'I want to be alone'.

But no response.
Figured.