Chapter 44

My eyes were closed but I could feel the light shining on my face.
I was feeling hot yet I could feel a very cool breeze blowing at me as well.

There was something warm clasped around my hand.

I stirred a bit and the warm feeling left my hand.
I knew I had been sleeping for a while now but I couldn't help but still feel so super sleepy even though I was tired of sleeping, if that made any sense.
With much effort I peeled my eyes open.

The light that attacked my sight gave me an instant headache.

I shut my eyes again and pressed my fingers to my temples hard in order to suppress the ache. It didn't really do much.

"You deserve that."

I paused.

I opened my eyes again just a fraction and looked around.

I was in my room.
Buried under a heap of blankets.

No wonder I was feeling hot.

When did I get here?

My eyes landed on Damon who was standing by my door with his arms crossed over his chest.
I opened my eyes and looked fully at him now.

"Huh?"

"Don't you 'huh' me. What the hell were you doing in the woods? Outside pack territory?"

Outside pack territory?
What is he talking about?

Oh.
Yeah.
Wow.

I didn't realize that I had gone that far on my little expedition.

"I, uh, I shifted and I went for a run. I didn't know I had gone that far." I told him with a little shrug as I sat up in bed.

Then he scoffed.

"You didn't know. You didn't know." he repeated it to himself.

I was getting really hot but for some reason I didn't want to pull down the blanket. I saw it as some kind of shield against my impending attack.

Yeah, cause a bunch of soft cushiony blankets are going to save you from this one.

It's worth a try.

"Shifted in the middle of nowhere, run for miles without any spare clothing, left pack territory, jumped into a river, whose current would have either carried you away or drowned you once fatigue had set in, that is, if the bear didn't kill you first. And you say you didn't know."

I sat there and stared at him a bit confused.

Why was he so mad about this?
There's no way I could have anticipated coming across a bear.
Granted, I should have had clothes available and not gone beyond the pack's perimeter but it happened, it wasn't intentional on my part, maybe my wolf's, but it happened.

Nothing really serious happened for him to get all riled up like this.
If looks could kill, I'd be dead right now.

You would have been dead a long long time ago.

Exactly.

It wasn't in his face exactly that I saw the anger, since his face seemed neutral.
It was his eyes, his eyes looked like they were holding back a raging storm.

"Its true, I really didn't know-" I tried to explain myself further but of course he didn't let me.

"Do you know the danger you put yourself in?" he cut me off.
Now that surprised me.
I couldn't help the small chuckle that escaped me.

"That's it?" I let out another humourless laugh.
"Of all the times you have been needlessly angry with me over stupid issues, this has got to be the least believable one yet." He seemed thrown off for a while.