Chapter 99

He blinked. Like he hadn't heard me properly but then he quickly regained his composure, and probably his thoughts too.

"What do you mean contact her? We've been searching for her non-stop already. How do you plan on contacting her?"

Through snap maybe?

I pulled out the candle from my pocket.
"She gave me this." I looked up at him as I held out the candle.

He kept his eyes locked with mine for about five more seconds, trying to read me, I guess, before he tore them away to look at the object in my hand.

He regarded the tiny candle resting in my palm.

"A scented candle?" His brows were furrowed but he looked mighty confused as well.

"It's to contact Sarah, it can bring her consciousness to me."

His eyes remained hard as he stared at the candle and then slowly back up at me.
"Bring her consciousness to you?" He said enunciating each syllable like he was trying to understand the sentence himself. "The same thing that's trying to kill you? Have you lost your mind?" His voice was calm and somewhat quiet, but not in a good way. He seemed mad.

No kidding Einstein.

"Calm down," I tried to go for a reassuring look, "she's not going to be able to physically touch me. Hopefully." I added after a slight pause and a moment of honesty with myself.
But even as I said it I realized that I was doing a terrible job at trying to calm him down with my 'reassuring words'.

His eyebrows shot up even further this time. A little more and they'd fly off his head.
"Hopefully?" Looking away, he swallowed and pressed his lips together. "Tell me, what is your plan here Adrianne? Are you trying to get yourself killed?" He was getting worked up. I could see it, hear it and feel it. I'm sure I would even be able to taste it if I only had enough saliva in my mouth, but my mouth was completely dry at the moment.

Killed? I'd love to avoid that. Of course that's not my plan.

But our plan is dangerous. Of course he'd think that.

We're out of options here, we have to do this.

He didn't even let me get a word in. Mainly because I didn't know which one was appropriate to say in this moment.

He took a step back and regarded me.
"Were you even going to tell me about this plan of yours?"

Damon has always been a hard person to read, his eyes never gave much away. He always hid his feelings behind a cold hard facade. But I'd gotten better at reading him, and even more so, once our bond was fully established, I could feel him clearly.

But now, as he stood in front of me, I didn't need to be an expert at reading his facial expressions or need to feel his emotions through the mate link.

I could see it, plain as day. Anyone could. I don't know if it's because he knows we are the only two at home or he just doesn't care to keep a calm facade, but it was there.
He was tense, he even looked agitated but most of all he looked hurt, wounded even.

And I know it was because I was keeping him in the dark.

Again, he didn't allow me to answer because let's face it, we both already knew the answer.

I took a second to think about it. If he hadn't confronted me just now, if he'd stayed in his study and not spoken about my conversation with Sorayah, would I have told him about it?

As I stare at him now, I feel so bad for the answer but it's true, I wouldn't have.
But why?

Do you not trust him?