Chapter 4

"Pssst, Adriane? Are you awake?" Mavis said whilst poking my ribs, stirring me awake from my short and uncomfortable nap.

"I am now." I said groggily while sitting up, the ground cold and hard underneath me.

"Good." she smiled at me. It was amazing how she still found it in her to actually smile.

"What is it?" I asked her once I noticed her expectant expression.

"I'm bored." she pouted.

I gave her a blank look.
"And?"

She shrugged and just repeated her statement that she was bored.

"Gee May," I said as I rubbed my left eye, "I had no idea you were interested in entertainment before execution."

She frowned at me.

"There isn't much to do as a prisoner, so you're gonna have to suck it up and wait till they end our lives." I said. No need for any sorta sugar coating.

"Wow, Adriane, always looking at the positive side of things." Mavis said, sarcasm lacing each word.

Well, there was nothing remotely positive about this situation and I wasn't about to convince myself otherwise, just to be let down.

"And don't call me May, I hate it." I let out a little chuckle at that. At least that could make me smile, the scowl on her face at the nickname she refuses to own.
Why she hates it so much though, I still don't know.

I took a breath as I looked at her. "How are you okay with all this?" She didn't seem like someone who was on death row. She looked more like a petulant child on time out.

How can anyone sit so still finding out they're about to be killed. For no purpose at all.

"Okay with this? Is it because I'm not ranting and screaming and bawling my eyes out?" She asked me.

I nodded. "Yeah, pretty much."
I was still a bit new to this wolf thing but I'm pretty sure that wolves did feel pain when being killed, and they most definitely did not come back to life after dying. And this was just an unfair thing to happen.

"Believe me, I'm trying not to. What's the use in it anyway. It's not like my tear would change anyone's mind about what has been decided already." She shrugged.
"You see, when you grow up in a relatively smaller pack like ours, attacks are expected. Bigger packs always attack smaller packs and absorb them to take their territories and become even stronger. It's just the way it works in our world." She sighed.

"Sometimes pack members are absorbed as well, and sometimes they're, they're disposed of. We've been attacked before, but we were able to fight and run the other pack down. But this is the Blood Moon pack, there's no escaping this."

She's managed to make me understand why she isn't so devastated while making me ten times more devastated at the same time. Wow.

But I did understand her. It was almost like living in a war zone. You're expecting it, everyday, living with some sort of fear at the back of your mind. Just waiting for it.

I was just shock thrown into it. I never knew this could happen. Why hadn't I heard of this?

"How come I've never even heard of this Blood Moon pack? Not even in our lessons."

"You have. They're the Aurelius milites pack. Well, they were. But once they gained so much power and strength and started conquering all other packs around, they sort of gained fame for their bloodshed. Along the line, other packs just started calling them the blood Moon pack, and it just stuck I guess." She shrugged.