Chapter 102

Her steely gray eyes made contact with mine.

She looked shocked for a nanosecond but she recovered from it so quickly I almost thought I had imagined it.

"Adrianne dear." She tried to look weary. Tried. "You have to help me, something got me and has me locked up-"

"Cut the crap."

And she immediately shut her mouth.

Good.

"What do you want from me? No really, what do you want from me?"

"Hm, skipped right past the pleasantries, diving right in."

I stayed silent, watching her.
Studying all her minute movements with great precaution.

She was here, but not fully. That I knew. But you wouldn't be able to tell from her mere physical appearance.
By all standards she looked present, fully present and living.
I noticed how her chest rose and fell gently, steadily with every breath she took.
I noticed her throat move gently as she swallowed.
I noticed her her pupils dilate and constrict as she occasionally glanced around the room, her eyes adjusting to the light.

I noticed that little vein at the side of her temple and that little depressed notch above her sternum that meets her clavicles, both pulsating as her heart beat.

She's got an actual heart?

"What are you?"

She moved slowly around the room, not coming in contact with anything.
Her movements seemingly very deliberate.

"Let's just say, I'm a force of nature."

"You're evil."

"Still a force."

"So you're a witch?"

"It's not as simple as that, but you could call it that.

"So what, your boss told you to come get me?"

"Boss? I have no boss." She almost looked offended.

Ah. So then she's the boss?
That prompted me to a thought. One that I hadn't had much time to dwell on yet.

"So you're floating white eyes?" I was now considering this myself for the first time.

"What?" She almost laughed.

"The leader. The one who sent her cronies to come 'get me'" I seethed.

She just smiled, feeling smug, and confirmed my statement.
Giving me even more resolve to do what I have to do.

But she must not know what it is that I'm planning.

Peaches.

"So how is it that you decided to come and carry out this plan of yours yourself?"

"Important things require my attention, and you, if it isn't painfully obvious by now, are very important to us."

"So you're this force, and a leader at that, that's riding her existence on a mere wolf?"

Her eyebrows shot up.

"You're no ordinary wolf. Surely you must know that."

She, or well, her consciousness kept moving around the place. Her shadow following her as she went.

Her shadow.

She had a shadow?

She took another step to the side, and I noticed the fine/minute bristles of the plush carpet sway and bend from the applied pressure of her feet.