Chapter 13

Damon stood there, all sweaty and tousled up, slightly out of breath.

He walked over to me in the fireplace, my hands still firmly gripping the poker, not really sure of what was going on.

He bent down and and took my hands and carefully pulled me out of the small space, my left arm hurting slightly as he did so, the poker falling out of my right. When I stood up my knees buckled a bit because I had been in that position for quite a while and blood flow had sorta ceased.

I wasn't about to fall down but my legs did wobble so I put my arms on his shoulders to steady myself as his hands also grabbed onto my waist holding me in place.

I looked up to meet his scorching blue eyes look back down at mine. His eyes roamed my body and my face for a minute before he spoke.

"Are you alright?" His voice was very low and he actually managed to look concerned.
And I found myself falling for it. I just nodded still in shock from what just happened.

One minute I was running away from here, the next I was being chased back here by some rogue. And now I was being saved by my 'mate'.
Which wouldn't be necessary if you would just come out when I need you to and help me fight, I scolded my wolf.

His super strong scent filling my nose was what made me realize how close we actually were at the moment. My hands were still on his shoulders and his grip on my waist had loosened so his hands were just resting lightly on my hips.
I took an awkward much needed step back, whilst clearing my throat slightly.

"Did he hurt you?" Damon asked me further. His question caught me off guard.
I don't know why he was acting concerned all of a sudden, his question only served to make me angry again.

I just turned around and shook my head.

"I- I, I'm sorry that happened." He said shocking me completely.
I spun around to see him looking down, his mouth pressed into a thin line.
Is he being serious?

"You're sorry?" I asked him incredulous.
I was both amazed and appalled by his nerve ro say that to me.
He really has the balls to come here and tell me he's sorry about the attack?
He tore his gaze off of the floor and looked at me. His eyes were wide and cautious.

"Yes, I, it is partly my fault and I feel-" he was starting to mumble but I cut him off.

This is just insulting.

"Oh don't give me that bs! I know you don't care so you don't have to act. In fact I didn't need your help I would have been better off if that rogue had killed me." I suddenly snapped.

He had the grace to actually look offended at my sudden outburst.
He quickly recovered though and shot me a quizzical look.

"I know Cassandra is not dead. But what I don't know is why no one told me and why the hell I'm still here." He looked slightly shocked but he didn't say a word.

"Look, I know that for some absurd reason you don't like me, and that's alright, but that does not give you the right to lock me up here like some prisoner when I haven't done anything wrong and making me believe I'd killed someone." I was furious at this point and I was glad that I was letting it all out.

He looked down on the floor as if ashamed or something like that but he still didn't speak.

I scoffed. Say something you idiot.

But he didn't, instead he kept quiet and stared at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world.
His eyes kept scanning the floor until they suddenly stopped.
I followed his gaze to see that he was looking at the broken pieces of glass that were by the curtain shielded window.

His gaze snapped back to me before he approached the window. He stared at the glass lying on the floor a little while longer before opening the curtain. He assessed the scene for a minute before he looked at me.

"Did the rogue break down the door?" He asked out of nowhere. What?

"Where are you going with this?" I asked confused about why he'd be asking about the door at this crucial moment.

"Just answer the question. How did the Rogue get in? Did he break the door?" he growled his eyes becoming cold and dangerous again, which made something inside of me whimper.
Okay, I think I prefer sober Damon.

"Yes, he did." I mumbled, my anger being replaced with some emotion I can't decipher. I could feel my wolf submitting, which was pissing me off.
Why are you doing that?

His breathing became harsh all of a sudden but he calmed himself down.

"So then why is the window broken?" He growled even louder.

I froze. Shit. How'd he?

"Were you trying to escape?" Ding! That's correct for a million dollars.

I did my best though, not to answer his question and keep my head down.

He ripped the curtain off and took long fast strides across the room to me. He forcefully grabbed my chin, as usual, and made me to look up at him.

"I asked you a question, were you trying to run away? Answer me." and this time when he said it, it sounded like an Alpha's command.

The mere tone of his voice sparked something inside of me and I threw his answers in his face.

"Let go of me you Asshole!" I said freeing myself of his tight grip.

"Yes, I tried to escape, what are you gonna do now Alpha?!" I barked at him. He looked furious but hey, so was I.

"How dare you,... argh! So that's how the rogue found its way here. You weren't even in here when he found you. Why are you so reckless?! Why would you do that?!" he yelled at me.
Okay, now he's done it.

"Why would I do that?" I asked the question again, more to myself surprised that he would even ask a question like that.

"Why would I do that?" My weirdly calm voice was laced with venom. "Because I am sick and tired of you and your damn attitude!" I shoved him in the chest real hard and he stumbled back. He oddly didn't look to want to retaliate though. But he still seemed annoyed.
I didn't care.

"You have been such an asshole to me from the first day we met. I don't know what I even did to you! You act like I'm some curse you're stuck with. Look I did not ask for this, I didn't ask for any of it. You and your stupid Cassandra have pushed me to the brink. Yes, I tried to escape and trust me I'll do it again. I can't be here anymore because I can't stand you. I fvcking hate you Damon!"
I shouted my final words which seemed to sink in deep into that thick skull of his.

He took in a sharp breath of air before he shut his eyes. His jaw tightening and his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides, as if he was trying to calm himself down.

"How dare you say that." He hissed as he opened his eyes. I rolled my eyes.

"How dare I say what?" I said a lot of things genius. "You know something, forget it. I will leave tomorrow whether you like it or not but I want to get certain things out of the way first." I paused and took a deep breath.

"I want you to formally reject me."