Chapter 55

"Gabby?" I said into the phone but the line was already dead.
I didn't know what to do. I was confused for the first five minutes and then in shock for another ten.

I tried to call back but the number was blocked.

Gabriella is in trouble.
And the worst part is she's not alone.
She said us.

Could it be possible that my mom and dad were there?

But then why would she call me?
I had a bad feeling in my gut which only intensified when I realised that she had actually called me.
On my phone. Which I got not too long ago.
How did she even get my number?
Something wasn't right here. Nothing was adding up in my head. I was still in shock.

Oh no.
I hope they're okay.
She screamed. Of course she isn't.
Is she being tortured?
Did someone kidnapp her and now wants ransom? From me? I don't have any money! Why would they call me and not the police?
It can only be that who ever has her made her call me. But why? Why call me?

What kind of trouble can they be in? What did they get themselves mixed up in?
After two years? I finally hear her voice again and it's to tell me that she's in trouble. Am I dreaming or did I just hallucinate the entire phone call? This is too unreal.

I can't believe it.

All the bad memories come swarming back.
The rejection.
The hate.
The pain.

And the tears came streaming down, I didn't notice them till they had assembled at my chin and started free falling onto my laps.
Would my life always come down to this?
Tears?

Why on earth did they phone me?
What the hell am I supposed to do? What can I do?
Help her?

How?

I don't even know where she is.
Let alone how to get there.

Why?
I was hoping that this was just a prank call, and that she's okay, that our parents-, well, her parents are okay. And nothing bad is happening. Or I could just ignore it till it goes away, till it isn't my issue anymore.

A prank call though, addressed directly to me? I was definitely missing something. I don't need this right now, I sincerely don't.
This is frustrating.
Just then my door flew open.

"Adriane, my mother said she's wa-... are you crying?"
Damon stood at my doorway arms crossed, face hard.

I quickly dried the few stray tears away suddenly remembering Latifah's request for me to help her with a cake.

"Oh yeah, I'll be down in a second." I said trying to sound normal.

I thought he would turn around and leave but he didn't.
"Adriane, why are you crying?" He pressed, his voice firm.

"Uh, I got something in my eye." I hopelessly lied looking down and trying to look busy by opening my nightstand and rummaging through it, mentally willing him to go away.

Nice one.

I went as far as retrieving a white cotton handkerchief to wipe my eye with in attempt to rid it of any foreign material. At least I pretended to, while my face remained neutral. I hoped.
But Damon's hard expression as I looked back at him proved to me that he wasn't buying it.

But instead of pressing on he just clenched his jaw and walked out. I didn't miss the flicker of emotions in his eyes though.

The guilt.

He probably thought I was crying because of him. Maybe that's why he dropped it and left. He didn't need to hear me say it, all he knew was that I was crying and that he'd caused it.