Chapter 95

Just like she'd never been here in the first place she just vanished, leaving no trace behind.

Leaving me to wonder if I had dreamed it all up.

But I knew what had just happened. And it was too much to process.
All those months of being with her, all those months of lies and her messing with my mind, with my wolf.

What even was she?

Not more than ten seconds had passed since she vanished and my train of thought started when the door burst open.
James rushed in first, Marcus right behind and three other frontline guards came in, all alert, all looking for something.

"Did you see anything outside?" I asked them almost as soon as they stepped in.

They shook their heads. "No, nothing Alpha Adriane." Jerome, one of the guards responded.

I punched my fist against the wall, gritting my teeth so hard I thought they might break.

Of course they wouldn't see her, she wouldn't be there.

Marcus seemed visibly confused when he noticed only the two of us standing there. Reluctantly, they all seemed to come off their attacking stance but still warily surveyed the area.

"Alpha," Marcus started, "The threat..."

"Is gone." Damon's face was hard, and I could tell he was more than livid.
I was blazing too.

She was gone. She'd just vanished, into nothing!

"But we scanned the whole perimeter on our way here, there's no way-"

"She vanished." I answered this time. "She was right here, in my grip and then she just-... disappeared." I found it hard to actually say that.

I couldn't quite understand it. Was she a shapeshifter? Was she a witch?

James and the other guards looked stunned as they threw each other questioning glances.

Everyone was confused. But no one more than me. What was she? Where was she? She's just gone now? Would she be back?
It's possible that she isn't anywhere. Or she might just be someplace else.

Or... someone else.

I paused, turning to look at the five men that just barged in.

I knew them, they were part of our pack, I could feel them. But that didn't mean anything.
If the past couple of months is anything to go by then I know that whatever she is, she's capable of concealing herself very well.

Stepping forward, Marcus was the first one I grabbed, quickly scanning his arms to search for any scars. The scars that I knew cling to her from skin to skin.

Having seen none, I still went a step further and dug my nail into his wrist a bit. Drawing blood.
Actual blood.

Marcus didn't question me though, he just stood still silently watching me and what I was doing.
I looked at the tiny incision as it closed back up, having healed almost instantly.

I pulled back. "Sorry about that, I just needed to be sure."

He just nodded at me in understanding even though I am sure he had no idea what was going on and stepped aside giving me access to the rest of the men, who all stepped forward arms already outstretched waiting to be inspected and cut.

And I did just that, apologizing after each one as well.
I'm not questioning their loyalty but I just needed to be sure that they were who they were supposed to be.

I can't be fooled again. Not again.

Marcus seemed to be trying to piece the information together in his head.
"By 'she' you mean your aunt?"