Chapter 79

I woke up in the middle of the night unable to fall asleep again.
Great.

I was just thinking as usual.
I couldn't help but feel that Sarah was a bit mad at me, mad at me for letting go. All this time with her and I never realised what a grudge she still held against Damon.
I must be very unobservant.

Hm.

But then again, maybe our emotions were just all over the place yesterday.
That and the fact that she's literally still mourning her son. I had to try and understand where she was coming from. And I hoped she would try and see things from my point of view as well. I wasn't just gonna up and leave.

I-, we, were going to try and make things right. As much as we can.

By this time, my train of thought had already led me to the kitchen looking for something to eat.

Well I can't sleep, might as well make myself busy.
I took a pretzel from the fridge and warmed it up shortly in the microwave while I considered either drinking tea or coffee. I wanted hot chocolate but we were out... since I drank it almost every midnight. I'd have to refill tomorrow, or later today, depending on the time.

I turned to the clock in the kitchen to check the time. The white and sliver wall clock fit in perfectly with the new look of the kitchen. After weeks of minor labour in this place, we finally finished remodelling the kitchen. And it looked amazing. I was low-key proud of myself.
No one assembles cabinets like me.

Hm.

Guess you're still feeling sleepy.

Hm.

It was well past midnight, almost one am and I decided that coffee wasn't gonna help me get any sleep later on.
So I went for tea.
I opened the cabinet and smiled a bit when I realised that Sarah had stocked up on tea bags for me. Now if only she'd gone on a chocolate run as well, I thought absentmindedly.

I took the first sip of my tea, after blowing the hell out of that cup. One burnt tongue is enough for the week.
I took out one of the books I had taken from Damon's study and opened it up, continuing my work.

Pack records.
I was doing my best to study the pack records and know a little something about all the families here, the individuals and all the surrounding packs, whether they were in alliance or not. I needed information about all of them if I was going to be a good Luna.

There weren't too many packs around here, at least, not anymore. There used to be about six packs in our state. The golden moon pack, the midnight pack, stormcloud pack, the wildflowers and the crescent moon pack. And of course Damon's pack.

Two of which don't exist anymore to my knowledge, and from what I saw here, the Crescents had joined the Wildflowers, and hence they were one pack now. Whether this merge was consensual or not, I had no idea, but I guess I'll find out eventually.

And aside that, there were many more packs we were in alliance with outside the state, Damon even had territory outside the country. So I guess it's safe to say that the books stacked here were super thick.

I sighed and bit into my pretzel, back to work.

*****

"Wake up." The lights suddenly turned on.

"Nnffggg." I turned in my bed.
I vaguely remembered a dream I was having about Avengers. I was Black widow, and I was really kicking some ass.
I was fighting off human wasp thingys that strangely resembled the aliens from Justice League. Hm, a DC dream in a Marvel dream, interesting.

"Adriane, wake up." I heard the voice again, still in the distance but closer than the first time I heard it.
I was slowly being pulled out of my dream, and I could already see Superman flying up ahead.
In an attempt to make sure that I stay in this universe and meet Captain America and Superman when they come to fight beside me, I burried my head under my pillow to resume my sleep.