Chapter 93

On our way home I noticed Damon in mind link mode a couple of times, I wondered if it was Marcus he was reaching out to.

I really do hope he is okay, I thought to myself as I absentmindedly played with my crescent.
Looking down and admiring the ever glowing crystal, I looked at the beautiful way the gold and silver looking chain was woven into itself and around the gemstone.

I said silver looking, because it looked silver, but it didn't burn, so it can't be actual silver. I wonder what metal it was though, it had such a beautiful lustre to it, the gold part certainly was real gold, I guessed. I'd ask Damon once we were inside the house and he was mentally present again.

As soon as I stepped into the house though, I forgot what I was about to say.
Or more like it became completely irrelevant at the moment.

Had something died in here?

A foul smell, extremely foul instantly took a swig at my nose almost knocking me out.
It somehow managed to smell like something rotten and burning metal at the same time.

It was almost painful to inhale.

"What on earth is that?" Damon said pushing the front door wide open and keeping it that way.

Yeah, this place needs serious ventilation.

He his face was hard.
Unlike me whose face was probably scrunched up in disgust, he just looked mad, like someone had just purposely thrown a stink bomb into his house.

Is that what it was though?
A stink bomb? The horrid scent certainly was explosive enough to be, not that I'd ever had the pleasure of actually experiencing a stink bomb, but I just imagined that whatever it was, it'd be as powerful as this.

I seriously just wanted to go back outside and stay there, but I'd have to enter in at some point, and whatever died here would still be here, we'd have to deal with this now.

The first place I went to was the guest bathroom.
Maybe during the party, someone had stumbled here, somehow opened the door and taken care of some serious business in there.

It was just a hunch.

A wrong one though I realised as I entered, because even though the place still smelled generally bad, it wasn't concentrated in here, that and the place looked completely fine. Clean and tidy.

Almost destroying the knob on the air wick bottle with all the pressure I was applying, I shut the door immediately, hoping the fresh lavender scent would soak in there.

If all else failed, that might be my only breathing space in here.

Sighing, I put the empty can down. I didn't want to risk spraying the rest of the house for fear that whatever made the awful scent was still here, and that combined with the air freshener would only make things worse, ironically.

Damon by this time had opened all the windows and turned on all the lights, combing through the entire living area, scrutinising everything as though he had x-Ray vision or could see whatever gamma or beta waves that were causing this pungent odour.

Go to the kitchen.

Okay, I really hope none of my food's gone bad though. Although I doubt it's rotten food.

As soon as I stepped into the kitchen, I knew this was it.
It was here. But from where exactly, I couldn't make out.
The scent was so intense here that you could have told me the scent was coming from me and I would have believed you.
It was all over the place.

In a matter of minutes, Damon and I had turned the kitchen almost upside down looking for whatever crawled up in here to die.

The refrigerator, the freezer, we checked the cabinets which seemed pretty normal, some smelling more than others though, we checked under the sink, under the counter, even opened up the kitchen windows and checked right outside.