Chapter 31

So after that, we basically spent the day baking brownies and cookies under strict directions from Baking Chef Anastasia.

That's what she calls herself now.

Out of seven trays that we baked only three turned out to be good.

Don't ask me how, Anastasia just tasted the first one of each tray and if the sugar level was not to her satisfaction, she condemned it by making a cute scowling face and sticking her tongue out.
Which was weird since they were all baked from the same barter.

She had finished the first tray and had moved on to the second one when she stopped mid brownie.

"Where's Damon, he has to try these." she said looking around frantically.

Baking the brownies had taken my mind off of him.

Come to think of it, where is he?
I haven't seen him since last night.

Marcus and James must have dragged him off somewhere.

Is he back in the basement?

Or out somewhere in the fields?
Or in the hospital?

Or, or...

"Damon!" My thoughts were cut off by an ear piercing scream.

And just like that, Anastasia had hoped off the kitchen counter and was at the stairs were Damon just descended to.

Or maybe he was in his room.

He was probably in his den of iniquity because I was in his room last night.

He was dressed as if he was ready to go out.

Jeans and a shirt and he had his jacket on.

But it didn't seem to faze Anastasia. Instead she grabbed him by his sleeve and dragged him to the kitchen.

"Ana, where are you taking me, I need to go out." Damon mumbled as if he were sleepy.

"I won't take long I promise." she said while still trying to pull his weight into the kitchen. They walked into the kitchen and Anastasia immediately climbed the kitchen counter again and picked a brownie from the tray.

"Say aaah." Anastasia said while sticking the brownie near his mouth.

"Ana, what is th-" Damon tried to speak but was cut off.

"I said say Aah!" she said a bit more aggressively.

He sighed and shook his head slightly and opened his mouth.

"Aah" then she shoved the entire brownie into his mouth.

It took him a while but he was able to swallow it.

"A bit too sweet isn't it?" He asked Anastasia while drinking a glass of water off the kitchen counter.

She gasped in shock.

"Nothing's ever too sweet!" She protested and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Well then, its perfect. But I really need to go now." He said while giving her a kiss on her head.

She giggled and nodded.

"Here, take this with you." she said handing him another brownie.

He smiled and took it and said thank you. He was just about to turn around when Latifah stopped  him.

"But where are you going son, you look tired. You should really rest." Latifah said looking worriedly at his face.

Damon sighed.

"I'm fine mom, I just need some fresh air."

"But you haven't even eaten anything." she complained.

He just showed her the brownie and popped it into his mouth.

"Now I have." and just like that he left.

Anastasia couldn't stop giggling after that.

It made me smile too. Even Latifah who looked worried as hell let out a little laugh.

"Okay now lets cook some real food shall we?"

***

It was about seven pm and we finished cooking about an hour ago.

Anastasia had already fallen asleep after running around in her sugar rush which she got from eating the remaining trays of brownies as dessert. Now here she was sprawled out on the coffee table resembling a dead fish.

But she was a cute dead fish.

Latifah stood up after a while from the living room and walked over to Anastasia and picked her up.

"I think we'll turn in for the night." Latifah said before we exchanged good nights and she headed upstairs with the sleeping bundle of joy and mayhem in her arms.

After I got tired of watching re-runs of That's 70's show, I turned the television off.

I was just about to head upstairs to my room when the front door opened.

Damon walked in dripping wet. Water was literally just dripping off of him.

It wasn't raining, was it?

I strained my ear to listen to the outside.
No, it definitely wasn't raining.

So why was he so wet?

He had just removed his boots and his jacket and was walking towards the bar. He sat on a bar stool and pulled out a bottle of scotch while still dripping water all over the carpet.

I don't know why but I decided to open my mouth.

"You should really get out of those wet clothes Damon. Why are you so wet?"

He downed a glass of scotch without even looking at me.

"Mind your own business." he snapped. I had kind of started to get used to his attitude, so I sighed and went to my room.

"One day, your bitterness is gonna kill you." I said under my breath as I opened the door to my room.

But I think he must have heard it because shortly before I closed my door I heard an angry growl and a glass break.

Anger management.

That's what he needs.