Chapter 75

Once I opened my eyes the shadow moved back and I got to see that it was just the lady.
Uhm, Sarah. Yes, Sarah.
The sun was shining brightly as she was looking down on me on the bench making her appear like a shadow.

I was just getting paranoid now.

I sat up.

She was sitting beside me, humming a soft song to herself.
"Oh you're awake." She smiled at me.

And you're out of jail, how?
But I didn't say that out loud, obviously.
But I couldn't hide the surprise on my face at the apparent fact that she was out here, free.
"What are you doing here?"

She chuckled lightly.
"I'm sorry if I gave you a fright, I was let out this morning, I assume my interrogation is over. I just really wanted to see you before I leave. So when I found you here I was so glad, but you were asleep, so I decided to just wait. It's not like I'm in a hurry or anything."
She finished that off with another chuckle.

She likes laughing.

Says the girl who has known her for about two minutes.

I'm good at deducing characters.

Sure.

Now that I looked at her, I realised that she basically looked the same from last night, except for her face. She looked far less worn out and drained. She looked light.
Her grey eyes looked bright and less tired.
There was a sweet smile on her face and I could even see a faint line of a dimple on her left cheek.

I just had to, it felt so natural.
I smiled back.

Then I registered what she said.
"Before you leave? Where are you going?"

"As much as I would love to spend more time with you, this is not my home. Besides, I'm not really wanted here. I hope you understand."

I nodded.
She's a rogue. Rogues are never welcome anywhere. All that loneliness must be an awful thing to deal with.
So why she wants to keep on being one beats me.
She could just stay here and not have to run anymore.

"You look so much like your mother when she was just a teen." She looked lovingly at my face and stroked the tendrils of hair that were already behind my ear out of place and back behind my ear.

"You've known my mother since you were teens?" I asked her. I only had the picture that I took from Sarah of my mother in my head. The first time I saw her was just a hazy image in my head. But I still remember her smile.

It would be nice though to imagine how she was when she was my age.

"Oh long before that, we were nine years old when we became friends, but we had known each other right from kindergarten. Born and raised in the Golden Moon pack, and as fate would have it, Amara and I were mated to the Alpha and the Beta. There's much more to that, but that's a whole other story for another day."

My heart skipped.
I hadn't even realized it but I didn't even know my mother's name.
This was the first time I heard it.

Amara.
I loved it.

I suddenly wanted to know so much. So many questions forming in my head. How everyone was like, how the pack was, how she managed to escape that night, how all happened.

"Well, I'm not doing anything right now."
And that's how we spent the rest of the day engulfed in stories from her-our past.

******

"That's amazing. I just wished you had pictures."
I sighed with a half-hearted smile on my face.
We were at the pack house.
We had walked from our little spot on the bench and strolled around the pack while she told me stories about her life.