Chapter 39

I didn't say anything.

I had run out of words to say.

For about a minute.

"Fine." I looked him dead in the eye as I said that one word.
I was sick of all of this nonsense.
I had no plan, but all I knew in that moment was that I was going to leave at once.

"You have absolutely no right to talk to her like that." A familiar voice scolded.

We both turned around to see Latifah sitting in a wheelchair at the door frame.

Damon's features immediately softened.

He quickly walked over to her and started examining her face.

"You shouldn't be out of bed now, you know this, why are you here?"

"It gets very boring when you're couped up in your room all alone." She said seeming annoyed.
"Wait don't try and change the topic Damon, why were you speaking like that to her?"

Damon's features immediately hardened again.

"That's none of your business."

"Look Damon I get you are angry but there is no need to take it out on her. We all suffered this attack together."

Damon didn't say a word, he just clenched his jaw.

As far as I knew, there was nothing wrong with her legs per say, but I'm sure she was still too weak to walk on her own.
She looked so frail sitting there, yet scowling at her son.

I really wanted Latifah to stop trying to reason with him but she was already on a roll.

"You are not like this Damon, stop being so cold all the time."

Wow, I guess I'm not the only one that feels that way.

"Damon, I'm not going to be here forever you know, and you've been so lucky as to have a mate like Ad-" she said gesturing towards me and stopped abruptly when she actually saw me.
"You marked her!?" She literally screamed.

Her eyes nearly popped out of her skull.

He kept quiet.

"And now you want to kick her out? Do you know the effect it can have on either one of you!?"

We both kept still. Again with this effect thing?

"You don't, and yet you want to kick her out and then what? Look for that slut to come and be Luna?"

Ooh...

I never thought the day would come when Latifah would utter such a word.

"I'm perfectly capable of running the pack alone, I've been doing it long before she came."

"And look at where that has gotten us."

Ouch.

That one must hurt.

Even if it did though, he didn't show it.

"She will become Luna of this pack Damon, whether you like it or not. And the sooner you start getting used to it the better for you." This was the first time I had ever seen Latifah so firm with him, guess the recent events has had a toll on everyone.

He clenched his jaw, not saying a word.
Latifah looked back over at me, her eyes really focusing on my mark.
"I can't believe you actually marked her," she shook her head slowly, "And now you're asking her to leave?" She turned back to Damon.

"Do you know what it will do to you?"
He remained silent. "You're only halfway through the mating process, distance at this point can literally drive you insane if not kill you."

If possible, it seemed that he had clenched his jaw even tighter then.
Latifah looked like she wanted to literally wack him across the head.
I just stayed silent, watching, listening.

She rolled up to him, her face stern.
"If you're so serious about letting her go then reject her. Do it and do it now Damon." A couple of tears escaping her eyes as she stared hard at Damon, her voice firm and unwavering.

I unconsciously held my breath, waiting for it.

He could do it, reject me. I didn't know if it was possible at this point, but maybe it was.
I'd asked him to do that before, but he blatantly refused. He may have had the time to change his mind now though.

But still, Damon remained silent.

Faced with the actual decision to reject me and end all this, once again, his movements faltered a bit.
Clenching his jaw, he looked at Latifah, then at me, and then just stormed out, banging the door shut.

Broke the door hinges in the process.

I really, really did not know what to think of him anymore.

Latifah let out a sob.
I rushed over to her.

"I really can't take this anymore, I - I just can't. He and Ana are all I have left but he's so distant and cold lately and Ana..."

She paused.

Anastasia...

She's the only one who is still under intensive care.

"How is she?"

"Bad, very bad. Those monsters gave her wolfsbane to knock her out. Her system is far too weak and young to fight that. Its only a miracle she didn't die on the spot."

"I'm so sorry."

I looked at her body.

She had also been very badly beaten up, bruises and scratches designing her once pale flawless skin.

I could see a bandage around her ankle now that I was up close so I guess she must have a broken ankle as well.
She should have healed completely by now, but the wolfsbane had slowed her healing down.

At that moment Marcus entered the room.

"Uhm, sorry Ma'am, but the Alpha instructed me to send you back to bed or carry you there if necessary." He said it like he was shy about it.

"No need for that, I'll go. Please come along." she said turning to me at the end of her statement.

I hesitated for a moment.
"Please." She begged.

"Okay."