Chapter 34: Choice Making

(Part 1)

On a night as calm as water, Yuyu Palace was as bright as day. Night pearls of various sizes were inlaid on the phoenix pillars, exuding a thin mist. White jade stairs were connected to a golden throne, looking gorgeous and noble. The hall was empty and quiet, with only the Heavenly Empress there with closed eyes, sitting on the throne of a leader, with an inexplicable expression.

Low footsteps sounded from outside the hall. The Heavenly Empress opened her eyes, saw the incoming person, and said calmly, "I have already sent Jing Zhao back to the Heavenly Palace. You clearly know that she lost her dragon pellet. Why did you give her such a harsh punishment?"

"Wu Huan, the dragon pellet is so important to the golden dragon line. Jing Zhao acted very recklessly, so she should be punished." The Heavenly Emperor walked into the palace through the moonlight. In the silver-filled room, he looked at the person sitting on the throne that he hadn't seen for nearly a thousand years. There was faint yearning in his black eyes, but it was nicely covered.

"Wow, you're fair!" The Heavenly Empress pursed her lips with an inexplicable look in her eyes. She sat upright and leaned back against the throne, "But you don't need to worry. That person is just a mere lord. He can't refine Jing Zhao's dragon pellet. I will get it back for Jing Zhao."

Hearing this, the Heavenly Emperor was obviously taken aback, and blurted out, "But in the back palace today, didn't you tell Hou Chi that it's her choice?"

"You really were..." The Heavenly Empress looked meaningfully at the Heavenly Emperor. She gently clasped her hand on the edge of the royal chair, and said casually, "The choice is naturally hers, but...no matter how she chooses, I won't let Qing Mu take Jing Zhao's dragon pellet out of the Heavenly Palace. He is just a normal lord, how can his life be compared with Jing Zhao's future cultivation!"

"Wu Huan, Qing Mu has inherited True God Bai Jue's Taicang Spear. He will be a great help in resisting the Demon Realm in the future. What's more, he was injured by the Three-Headed Fire Dragon because of Jing Jian. This is also the reason why I didn't retrieve Jing Zhao's dragon pellet. To do so...is really against the heavens! Besides, Hou Chi is your daughter after all, how can you let her make a choice in such a situation?"

The Heavenly Emperor's voice carried a bit of annoyance, and his eyebrows gradually became cold and sharp. He was the Heavenly Emperor after all and was in charge of the Three Realms. Even if Jing Zhao suffered from this matter, he couldn't just watch and do nothing.

The Heavenly Empress glanced at him with a little surprise, and faint mockery flashed across her eyes, "Mu Guang, you don't need to worry about Hou Chi's affairs. This is my business. But I didn't expect that you would allow Jing Zhao to lose her dragon pellet for that immortal lord called Qing Mu. It seems that it was really wise for True God Shang Gu to choose you as the leader of the Three Realms. The golden dragon line is indeed of heavenly fate, you keep justice very well."

"Wu Huan, True God died for the Three Realms back then. The Nine Continents are indebted to her. You are a beast under her after all, how can you say such nonsense!" The Heavenly Emperor's brows straightened, and there was finally a little anger in his voice.

For tens of thousands of years, the Heavenly Emperor rarely said serious things. Even if he now knew that she was making things hard for Hou Chi, he didn't seem to mind much. But as long as True God Shang Gu was involved, he never pretended in front of her.

You have been dead for tens of thousands of years, but why are you like a maggot on the bone [1], how can you not disappear...

The Heavenly Empress's hand on the royal throne suddenly stiffened, her eyes suddenly darkened, and her multicolored hair also gently raised. She suppressed the anger at the bottom of her heart. Her voice softened a bit and she said, "How could I not know how much True God Shang Gu helped you? I just casually said it. You and I have been husband and wife for tens of thousands of years. Could it be that I cannot match the respect you have for True God Shang Gu?"