94.

Playlist (listen in order): https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w9sKX1IYAjG4NpjuYlrbb?si=d6381f2e2aca4ae3 (searchable as "94." by xbarcaxsquad)

-Katerina POV-

I needed time to gather my thoughts. This time last week, I was known as an award-winning high fashion designer, a mogul of the industry, and a trendsetter on social media. Today, I was reduced to... the daughter of a fugitive. It stung to see how quickly the world was ready to erase my hard work, my reputation. How was it that Damon could get publicly outed for conspiring against me and my family and I was the one who had bad press? The press had always had something to say about me, whether it be about me supposedly showing too much skin to who I hung out with or who I was supposedly dating. Now, that was trickling over to Neymar. The irony of it was that Neymar's party-boy image had never been called to question by PSG, nor had his recent suspension and fine from FC Barcelona. But so goes being a woman in the industry. Nevertheless, I refused for it to be my fault that Neymar lost out on an amazing deal. The media gave me no time to breathe and now the stakes had risen.

Absorbing Isabella's shares of Vera Industries had yet to go public and when it did, the spotlight on Anada and me was only going to get brighter. My mom was right, it was a precedent, a necessary one but an attention grabber no less. As she'd said, fashion loved chaos but that chaos came at a price for the business world. My mother worked hard to be taken seriously, and she ensured we had done the same. And we did work hard, which was why I didn't plan on letting the media get that twisted.

I rested my palms on the counter and stared at myself in the mirror and was disappointed at who was staring back at me. I felt the weight of recent events catching up to me and it was draining. I felt like I was one minor inconvenience away from rock bottom and I was hanging on by a mere thread. I moved at sloth speed, showering my body thoroughly as though it would rid me of the problems I was avoiding. I pulled on a pair of leggings and a black Nike hoodie because I couldn't be bothered to wear anything but comfy clothes knowing I'd be squeezing into an uncomfortable gown and walking a carpet in just a few hours.

I was the last one to come downstairs and everyone was eating breakfast. Oscar and Anada were deep in some serious conversation, Neymar was on his phone probably responding to his father's texts about the PSG deal, and Rafaella was talking to Ava. 

"Katerina, for tonight, your mom suggested a vintage Vera gown from her first collection, the gold-" Ava started to ask me.

"That's great. Thanks, Ava," I nodded and thanked God for having a mother who thought of everything. Ava smiled and typed on her phone. I don't think her phone or iPad ever left her hands. It reminded me of Lily. I sighed and suppressed the thought of that betrayal deep in my brain.

"Wow, since when does Katerina Vera not take a year and a day to decide on an outfit?" Oscar said teasingly.

I was going to respond but then I heard someone else say my name. It wasn't anyone here, but rather a reporter on the TV. It was one of those mid-morning celebrity gossip shows. From the picture of Neymar and me that they were showing on the screen to the side by side of a picture of Damon and me, I knew nothing good could come up this. "New sources have surfaced to speak about one of the football world's favorite couples. Neymar Jr. and Katerina Vera split after months of epic romance and left the world wondering why. Could a night spent in Barcelona with a very familiar ex have been the reason? Following a very questionable display of sibling rivalry, Damon Rey-Salvez was spotted out in town and paparazzi were the first to question him about Katerina's unexpected attendance at what guests are calling the masquerade from hell. Damon was more than forthcoming with details about a secret night he shared with Katerina as recently as last week in Barcelona. He shared with paps that he and People's sexiest woman in the world "didn't get much sleep that night." I think we all know what that means. Coming fresh off of a CFDA win and the release of her debut collection and her platform for ethical fashion, the former party girl is leading by example! What a better way to put sustainability into practice than recycling men?" the reporter said with amusement on the TV.