43.

-Katerina POV-
When I arrived home, I heard Neymar's voice somewhere in the living room. I took off my shoes before I walked further through the house and I saw him, on the phone, standing by the sliding glass doors that led out to the backyard. He was speaking in Portuguese so I figured he was talking to his family. "Obrigado. Parece bom. Te vejo em breve," he spoke into the phone.

He ended the call and let out a sigh. He turned around but stopped in his tracks when he noticed I'd been standing there the whole time. "Oh, baby," he sighed out as he came straight to me, wrapping his arms around me. "I was so worried," he whispered as he stroked my hair gently.

"Ney, I'm fine," I said for over the billionth time today and wrapped my arms loosely around his torso.

He ignored me and asked, "why didn't you answer your phone or at least call me back?!" as soon as he released me from our embrace, leaving his hands on my hips.

"I'm sorry. My mom came in and started yelling about how she wants to press charges and this whole thing," I sighed.

"I completely agree with her. He has no right to touch you. No one should be putting a hand on you," he said as his eyes looked furious.

"It's not that big of a deal, Ney," I muttered.

"Not a big deal? I come home, turn on the TV and find out my girlfriend is on every channel because she was assaulted by a pap?! You should have called me," he frowned.

"And then what could you have done? You have a game tomorrow so why would I interrupt your training with something like this? It's already happened and over. It's not like calling you would've undone anything. It's not a big deal. I'm fine."

He shook his head and ran his hand through his hair in frustration. "Why are you making excuses like if this is okay," he said as his forehead creased.

"I'm not making an excuse I'm just being realistic," I said.

"Realistically, it's not, and never will be, okay for someone to hurt you," he retorted firmly. I exhaled but didn't respond to him because I knew very well that he was right. "I want you to use my bodyguard," he suddenly announced.

"Ney, that's not necessary. This was a one time occurrence and it'll never happen again," I shook my head.

"That's my point. It shouldn't have even happened once," he frowned. He grabbed both of my hands in his and gazed into my eyes pleadingly. "You have to go to your step father's banquet tomorrow and I want you to be protected."

"Ney-"

"Baby, please don't be stubborn about this. I'm not trying to punish you. I just want to make sure you're safe, especially while I'm not here. I won't be able to stop worrying if I leave you here alone. Give me peace of mind and do this for me?" He pleaded in a soft voice as his thumb rubbed the back of my hand.

"Alright," I gave in with a sigh.

"Thank you," he breathed in relief. He pulled me into his arms and hugged me tightly around the waist. I hugged him back and felt comforted by his warm body. "I promise it won't be as bad as you think. I've already talked to him and he'll be here tomorrow morning and until I get back. He has worked for me for years," he informed me.

"Can't wait," I muttered while he pressed his lips to my forehead. I suddenly realized then that it was the bodyguard who he had been on the phone with, which meant I never really had a chance to say no to begin with. He'd probably already figured I'd retaliate. Nevertheless, I knew he genuinely wanted to keep me safe and I was beyond grateful for that. No man in my life had ever gone out of his way to protect me and Neymar was willing to do just that. However, some things just weren't in his control and he couldn't protect me from everything. I enjoyed my freedom and the idea of having a bodyguard made me feel like I'd be losing that, although I knew it was for the best.