44.

-Katerina POV-
We walked hand in hand through the paved park walkway as the sun's last hour of light was shining on us through the trees. His large hand felt warm and comforting as he gave me a soft squeeze. "How about we get some ice cream?" he suggested with a gorgeous smile.

"Okay," I smiled back, half dazed by him.

We exited the park and he led me to a small ice cream parlor. He ordered Dulce De Leche sundaes for both of us before we sat in a booth, across from each other.

"Feel free to tell me how I'm doing so far," he whispered after taking his first bite. "I don't do many dates."

That made me giggle and nod. He wasn't the most romantic type so when he did things like this, I knew he meant it. "You're doing great, Damon. Thank you for taking me out tonight," I smiled up at him.

"Of course, Katerina. As long as your happy," he said, rubbing the back of my hand with his thumb. I smiled as a blush masked my cheeks. "Just eat quickly so we can get home to some other date night things," he winked. My eyebrows furrowed in the slightest bit before I changed my facial expression to a soft laugh. I looked down at my ice cream and dug my spoon into it. I put it into my mouth and enjoyed the sweet dessert, trying to make the most of it. "Katerina, I said hurry up," he suddenly barked at me.

I looked up in surprise and saw a whole different Damon. He had tired brown eyes and his curly black hair was a mess, covered by the hood of a black hoodie. His mouth curved into a permanent frown. "Are you going to ignore me when I talk to you?!" he yelled, leaning toward me offensively, without a care that we were in a crowded parlor.

I jumped back and my eyes flew open, making me realize I'd jumped out of my restless sleep yet again. I hadn't gotten much sleep since putting my phone down a few hours ago and it looked like my time was up since I could faintly see the sky getting brighter through the windows. My entire night had been one nightmarish flashback after the other. They all were the same, going from good to bad in a split second just like most things in my life.

The sudden beeping of the alarm made me jump again and I let out a breath of relief. Neymar on the other hand, groaned and reached out blindly to press the snooze button. He covered his head with the sheet and he rolled over on his other side. "Ney," I called him, tapping his shoulder.

"Five more minutes," he grumbled.

I shook his shoulder but didn't have much luck which wasn't surprising since I was sure he could sleep through almost anything. "Ney, baby, you have to get up. Alexis is coming soon," I cooed into his ear. I left kisses from his temple to his cheek before I saw a smile forming on his lips. His eyes opened slowly and he looked at me with a smile. I kissed his head again and pushed him out of the bed to get ready so he wouldn't be late.

After an hour or so, Neymar was gone with Alexis to Camp Nou and eventually on the plane to Sevilla. He assured me he would text me when he landed and I told him I'd call before his match. The house was quiet and there was an eeriness about the silence. I decided to make myself a cup of tea to calm my nerves a little before I got ready for the day.

I filled the kettle with water and put a tea bag into a mug while I waited for the water to heat. I ran my fingers through my hair and rubbed my temples like if it would erase everything on my mind. I had to keep myself busy today so I didn't have time to be tired. I finished stirring my tea and sat on the couch so I could watch a bit of TV, though I couldn't really pay attention to it at all.

The doorbell rang half an hour later and my eyes darted to the door. I didn't move an inch as I contemplated whether to answer it. I heard the bell go off again and I gulped silently. I took a deep breath and inwardly pep talked myself before I set my mug on the coffee table and got up from the couch. I tied my robe securely and rested a shaky hand on the door knob. I took it like a bandaid and just turned the knob without a second thought. A huge, very muscular, dark skinned man stood in front of me and I thanked God even though I had no clue who this man was. "Hello. Can I help you?" I asked politely.