✘"In which Frank's a hot ranch hand | F.I. x Reader

(A/n)

Requested on Tumblr

___________
___________
___________

A soft sigh escapes my lips as I lean over the railing of the back porch. The soft afternoon breeze bends the blades of grass that extend themselves almost for as long as we can see to the sides from time to time, creating a soft sound when going through the leaves of the trees that's easily cut off when an animal grunts, neighs or something, even when a bucket is tossed away or the workers' boots meet the ground.

"Looking good, right?" Gerard leans against the railing as well, next to me, his voice a little muffled with how the cigarette hangs from the corner of his lips.

"With the amount of the races we've been winning, I'm not admired!" I smile wide, thinking back to when we had to instead rent a place in a stable to keep the horses a little longer than a couple of years ago.

He only hums faintly, taking a long drag from his cigarette. "Gonna stay, now?"

"At least for a month." I nod, stifling a laugh at how one of the workers struggles with the chickens, flinching and trying to step away despite the thick boots and jeans. "Gotta chill for a bit, right? And I want you to check if everything I brought is okay."

"Sure, it will be good." Gerard inhales, sounding like he's going to say something just to interrupt himself halfway with a breathy chuckle and I follow his gaze to the black horse being guided up the grazing. "Look at what I just got. Frank!" He calls with a raised hand, making Frank show up from behind the horse to glance back, pressing his lips together as he turns around. "This is Jetset." Carefully, he reaches his hand to pat on the side of the horse's neck, making the animal nod a little and huff.

"Oh, wow!" I raise my eyebrows and lean back to take a good look at the horse. "Black Thoroughbred?"

"Genuine," Frank hums as Gerard agrees silently. "Already started being trained." I raise an eyebrow, humming with a slow nod as I glance back at Jetset, reaching to pat the space between its eyes, receiving a quiet huff in response.

"How's Venom doing, by the way?" I look around for the other horse, but only catch a glimpse of an old appaloosa being taken to the grazing.

"Oh, she's—"

"Gerard?" Mikey calls from inside the house, not even sounding like he's anywhere close. "Can you come here and help us?" He grumbles incoherently, followed by the muffled sound of something hitting the ground and Gerard furrows his eyebrows with a sharp sigh.

"Frank, why don't you show (y/n) around? I will be back later, I hope. If not, at dinner." Gerard clicks his tongue, taking a last drag of the cig and tapping the ashes away. "Fucking Mikey," he mumbles, continuing his curses on his way to inside the house, compelling me to chuckle a little as I turn back to Frank.

"So, Frankie, how have you been?" I walk down the wooden stairs, joining him before we start walking up the path to the grazing again. A grin tugs on my lips at how he rolls his eyes a little.

"Good, good." Frank nods, tugging a little at the reins once Jetset starts to bend down to eat. "Working a lot as always."

"Only working?" I raise an eyebrow.

"You know me." He shrugs a little, but sighs as we come to a stop near the creek and finally lets go of the reins after adjusting them a little, finally letting Jetset free. "What about you, though? 'Heard you were dealing with business down the capital."

I nod, observing Jetset take a few steps away. "Yeah, had to deal with the money and Gerard had asked for more grains, hay, that stuff. It wasn't so fun, I prefer being with you guys to be honest." I shrug a little and sigh as I look back to Frank, and he's already looking at me. "Is that a new tattoo on your neck I see?"