• Broken Up •

***
Alyssa's POV
***

The sun beats down on my face, warming and tanning my skin. The wind picks my hair up off the floorboards and combs through it delicately, letting the ends spread out on the wood like a muddy puddle. The distant sound of traffic is blurred by the birds chirping in the trees and I let my eyelids rest shut, breathing deeply as I feel relaxed for the first time in a while.

"Alyssa!"

I groan and roll over on the porch, the beauty of the sunlight and wind both stopping as Grayson calls my name.

"What?" I sigh, sitting up as the screen door opens.

I can't have a goddamn moment of peace ever.

Grayson steps out onto the porch and raises an eyebrow at me. He's in shorts and a black shirt.

"Hello to you too, miss attitude"

"Sorry," I mumble.

Grayson sighs and shakes his head, dismissing my attitude before placing a cap on his head, sitting on the bench by the back door. I scooch over to him and rest my head against his leg, letting out a heavy sigh.

"You okay, baby?" Grayson asks, his large hand running down the back of my hair.

I shrug. I haven't been able to answer that question for a long time. At least not since Alex and I broke up.

"When does the pain go away?"

I look up at Grayson as the question slips past my lips. Grayson tilts his head to the side as he offers me a pitying smile.

"I don't know, Aly. I wish I could say"

I huff and face the other way, staring into the distance of the farm.

The twins, Kristina and I flew over from LA to New Jersey last week. After things got heated between Ethan and Kris and Alex and I broke up, we figured we all needed a reset and a time to relax. It's been great to see grandma again too. She welcomed us into her home with open arms like always. 

"Wanna go inside and get something to eat?" Grayson asks.

I shake my head no and find myself playing with his untied shoelaces. He gently nudges me with his foot and I look up again. His eyebrows are raised and my eyes fall away, focusing on a scratch in the floorboards that make up the back porch.

"You didn't have breakfast or lunch," Grayson says gently. "I think you should have something, honey"

"I'm good," I reply, lying back down. "I want to stay out here for a while"

I shut my eyes again and rest my head back on the porch floor. Grayson doesn't say anything else, but he doesn't have to because a second later, Ethan walks out to join us, Kristina following him. They're both smiling and I will admit, it's nice to see them getting along again.

"You've been out here for ages, kiddo," Ethan says, reaching down to ruffle my hair. "Why don't you go inside and get something to eat? Grandma says you haven't eaten yet"

"Why don't you all go inside and let me have a moment of peace?" I mutter, getting annoyed at the sudden need for everyone to start telling me to eat.

"Alyssa..." Grayson warns, giving me a look.

I sigh and bite my tongue. I know I have to be respectful, but it's just annoying at times. Especially when you have two overprotective, overbearing brothers who track your every move.

"Is someone a little moody?" Ethan teases, grinning down at me. "Cmon, have some fun. You've been in a mood all week"

I feel the tears burn and sting in the corners of my eyes. Anger and sadness rip through me and I have the sudden urge to run off into the farm and never come back. Ever since the news about Alex and I came out, he's been doing his best to avoid me being emotional. It's like when I'm sick, he always lets Grayson deal with the bad stuff.