Chapter 20

5 pm- After school- Alyssa's POV

I put my pencil down and squeeze my eyes shut, the words from my history textbook floating around my head along with a headache. I sigh and decide to get myself some water. I've been studying for my history test for two hours now and I'm scared to fail after parent-teacher conferences. All the teachers were pleasant but they did point out that my focus wasn't as sharp as it used to be. 

"Alyssa, go pack an overnight bag," Grayson says, putting his hands on my shoulders from behind. 

Confused, I look up at him. "Why? Where are we going?"

He sighs and his eyes are red. Was he crying?

"Grayson, what's going on?" I ask, suddenly scared. "No one's dead right? Grandma's okay?"

Grayson nods and sighs. "Just go pack an overnight bag, okay?"

"O-okay" 

I close my history book and walk to my room confused as fuck. What the fuck is going on? I shake my head and pull out my duffel bag. I start packing some sweats and a shirt along with my headphones, laptop and phone and laptop charger. I also pack my toothbrush and hairbrush along with some hair ties. 

"You ready, baby?" Grayson asks, entering my room.

He has a jacket on and I get even more confused. Where's he going? and where's his bag? I don't have time to ask as he gently pushes me downstairs and out the front door. We get in his car and he starts driving rapidly but safely. 

"Seatbelt" he sighs, spinning the wheel and turning down a familiar street. 

I put my seatbelt on and decide to get to the bottom of this. 

"What's going on, Grayson?" 

He sighs and shakes his head, a tear running down his cheek. My heart breaks. I've only seen Gray cry once and it was when I was trying to hurt myself. I don't know what do to. I would hug him but he's driving. 

"Where's Ethan?" I suddenly ask. "He's at Emma's right?" 

Grayson doesn't nod or shake his head no and I wanna shake him. Can't he just fucking respond?

"Grayson, you're scaring me"

He parks outside a building. Emma's building. 

"Grayson?"

He shakes his head and gets out of the car, opening the backseat and slinging the strap of my duffel over his shoulder. 

"C' mon" he sighs, grabbing my hand. 

We walk into Emma's building and when he knocks at her door I'm expecting to see Ethan and Emma cuddling or wearing matching PJs. Emma opens the door and immediately hugs Grayson. Okay, I'm so confused. 

"Thanks for taking her. I don't know how long it'll be" Gray sighs. 

"Absolutely. I'll take her for as long as needed. You go see him" Emma says, rubbing his arms up and down. 

"What is going on!" I suddenly yell.

Frustration and fear grip my gut and it's killing me being left in the dark. Who is "him"?

Grayson looks at me, dazed as if he had forgotten I was standing right next to him. He hugs me and I hug him back. 

"Be good. I'll explain tomorrow"

"No" I sigh. "Tell me now. Please?"

He sighs and checks his watch. "Sweetheart-"

"Please" I beg.