Chapter 54

Alyssa's POV- 6 am

"Time to wake up, love"

I groan softly as I feel someone shaking my shoulder gently. From the cologne, I can tell it's Grayson. 

"No" I mumble, turning over in my bed. 

He chuckles and shakes my shoulder again. "Aly, you need to get up or we'll miss our flight"

I open my eyes a little and see that he's already showered and dressed. He smiles at me when I sit up, handing me a mug of coffee. 

"Goodmorning, sleepyhead"

"Morning" I mutter, lifting the mug to my lips.

"Alright, get up and get dressed"

He leaves and I yawn, stretching myself out slowly. I honestly don't know why the twins pick the earliest flights. I'm excited though. We're going to New Jersey for a family reunion and staying there for two weeks. I need an emotional break from school (as the councillors put it) and the twins need an emotional break from YouTube, so what better way to spend it than with family in our hometown? 

I slide out of bed and get dressed, braiding my hair and doing my makeup too.

When I'm satisfied with my three bag checks (yes, three, you never know if you're just imagining things the first time around) I jog downstairs with it and join the boys in the kitchen for breakfast

I make myself some cereal while the boys check the flight time and talk about how happy they are to see grandma again. 

I'm excited too, but also kinda anxious. I hate flying. I also have to see my cousin Angela who hates me. I also hate her because she's so mean and judgemental. Lat reunion, we got in a fight and it didn't exactly end well. I threw a glass of water on her and she tackled me to the ground. As I said, it didn't end well. 

I finish my cereal and then clean the bowl before checking my bag a fourth time. I can't help but feel that sometimes I'm missing something. 

"Ready to go, Aly?" Ethan asks, checking his watch.

"Yeah" I reply, turning to the full-length mirror in the living room to make sure my outfit looks okay. Looks decent. 

"Alright, let's go," Gray says, opening the front door. 

We put our bags in the trunk and then get in the car. Grayson pulls out of the driveway and doesn't talk until we're on the highway. 

"Alyssa?" 

I take one of my earbuds out and lock eyes with Grayson in the reviewer mirror. 

"I want you to be nice to Angela. Last year doesn't need to happen again"

I sigh and roll my eyes. I hate when they always talk down to me like that, like I don't know how to control myself or don't know what's right and what's wrong. 

"Alyssa, please don't roll your eyes at me" he sighs. "Ethan and I need you to behave, for real"

"She provoked me, Gray. Just sayin'" 

"Alyssa" he warns. 

"I'll behave," I say, knowing that if I argue further he'll get really annoyed. 

He nods and concentrates on the road while I put my earbud back in. This is a great start to the trip. 

***

On the plane

***

I try not to go into a panic as I do up my seatbelt tightly. Flying absolutely kills my nerves, especially when the plane dips a little. Turbulence is what freaks me out the most though. 

"Relax," Ethan says, squeezing my hand. "It's okay"

I nod but am too busy pushing down the panic attack that feels like it's going to happen. Please god, don't let me have a panic attack on an aeroplane in front of all these random people!

I squeeze my eyes shut and try the breathing exercises my therapist taught me last Monday. I feel someone rub my back gently and I open my eyes. I lean on Grayson's shoulder, grateful that he's being nice to me after the car ride and soon enough his back rubbing calms me down. 

***

New Jersey

***

Our cab pulls up outside the big farmhouse that Uncle Tom owns. Sure enough, he and Angela are standing out front, awaiting our arrival. Angela's face is twisted into a scowl. Her black hair glints in the sunlight and if she wasn't pretty looking I'd be convinced she was a witch. Definitely acts like something that rhymes with witch.  As if reading my mind, Grayson nudges me and gives me his "serious eyes" 

"Be nice"

When he turns his back at me to get out of the cab; I take the chance to roll my eyes and stick my tongue out at him. Ethan sees me and smiles, shaking his head. He knows how much Angela hates me. He gets it. I get out of the cab last and grab my bag from the trunk. 

I hug Uncle Tom and stand in front of Angela awkwardly. She rolls her eyes and crosses her arms, refusing my handshake.

"Alright," I mutter, following Uncle Tom inside. 

He takes the boys and I upstairs to the guest room, Angela staying downstairs. He opens a door and we walk in. 

The room is casual but has a homey feeling to it. There's a big king-sized bed pushed up against the wall with bedside tables on each side. A big closet occupies most of the wall next to the bathroom and the floors are polished wood. It's pretty damn beautiful. 

"I hope you don't mind sharing the bed between the three of you," Uncle Tom says, chuckling a little. 

"Not at all" Gray smiles, dumping his bag by the closet. 

"I'll let you guys unpack and get comfortable. Lunch is at two"

"Thanks, Tom" Ethan smiles.

Uncle Tom leaves and Grayson decides to unpack while Ethan explores the bathroom. I'm feeling lazy so I fall on the bed and close my eyes for a few minutes. 

"Oh, wow!" I hear Grayson exclaim. 

I open my eyes and see him looking out the window. I sit up and walk over to where he is to get a better look. 

"Damn," I say, looking out onto the farm.

Horses, pigs, cows and chickens are scattered around the fields, doing their own thing. It's a pretty sight to see. 

***