Chapter 30

Alyssa's POV- Friday

My alarm blares loudly causing me to swear. I don't wanna go to school today.

"Well good morning to you too, sunshine," Ethan says, opening my bedroom door. "Don't swear or I'll wash your mouth out with soap"
He leaves and I roll onto my back, staring at the ceiling. School. Yippee.
I groan as I get out of bed. I find some black jeans, a black shirt and my white shoes.

"Hello there, goth princess" Grayson chuckles, putting some bacon on a plate as I walk into the kitchen.

"Hey," I sigh, sitting down and resting my head in my arms.

"Uh-Oh. What's wrong?" he asks.

"Nothing," I sigh.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I'm just tired"

I lift my head and he looks sceptical but lets it be. Truth is, I don't know what's wrong. I feel weird and uneasy about seeing Emma. What do I say? What if Ethan walks in there to get a coffee? The cafe is really close to my house.

"Alyssa?"

"Yeah?" I look at Grayson and he chuckles.

"I asked if you wanted to walk or I can drive you?"

"I'll walk"

He nods and washes his hands in the sink while Ethan walks in.

"Morning, family!" He grins.

A lump in my throat forms as I dredge up a small smile.

Ethan frowns at me. "You feeling okay? You look pale."

I wonder why

"I'm fine," I say.

He nods and picks up some bacon, shoving it in his mouth. I need to leave.

"Bye!"

I grab my bag and run out the front door. They're probably confused but I don't wanna back out now. How dare Ethan try to restrict who I can and cannot be friends with? Fuck that, I'm meeting Emma and that's that. If Ethan doesn't like it then he can fuck off. I can't help it. I'm mad at him.

***
After school
***
My hands get sweatier and sweatier as I'm walking down the street, getting closer to The Teacup. I'm  nervous and I hate this feeling of control the twins have over me. If I do anything that they don't ask I feel guilty and always chicken out.
I take a deep breath and push open the cafe door. At first, I don't spot Emma.
I look around the empty cafe and finally spot someone who looks like her. Brown messy ponytail, hooded gray sweatshirt and three empty coffee cups. Yep. Definitely Emma.
I walk over and set my bag next to the chair across her. She looks up at me and smiles wearily. She looks fucking tired.

"Alyssa, thank god you came. I thought you weren't going to after what happened"

She jumps up and hugs me tightly. I hug her back.

"Of course I came. Did my stupid brother do something?" I sigh, taking a seat.

She looks surprised as she sits down too.

"He didn't say anything?" She asks, looking confused but relieved.

I shake my head no. "He just came back home the day you broke up very upset and hid himself away in his room for like, two weeks"

A very pretty waitress walks over with a tray and smiles down at me.

"Hello! Can I get you something to drink or eat?"

"No thank you" I smile back.

She turns to Emma and picks up her empty coffee cups.

"And you ma'am? Anything else?"

"Another coffee please"

The waitresses name tag comes into view and I take a peek. Stella. Pretty name.
I take in her looks and she's beautiful. Curly brown hair, clear blue eyes and tanned skin. Her smile is really pretty too.
Stella walks off with Emma's order and Emma looks back at me, grabbing my hand. She squeezes it gently and sighs.

"I'm really glad you came. Ethan told me to stay away from you and Grayson"

He what?

"Of course I'm here. Ethan isn't going to tell me who I can and can't hang out with" I chuckle.

She sighs.

"I thought you were standing me up"

I squeeze Emma's hand back and sigh.

"I had school"

She looks dazed, as if she's forgotten I go to school.

"Oh," she shakes her head and nods. "Yeah. Yeah, I know"

She knows? Really?

"So," she says. "How is he"

Emma runs her finger along the rim of her coffee cup, staring into the black liquid.

"He's okay," I sigh. "I guess. I mean, I don't really know. He doesn't talk about you"

She nods and a tear runs down her cheek.

"Oh, Emma! I'm so sorry!"

I hug her and she hugs me back.

"It's fine, Aly. I wouldn't expect him too"

I sit down again and watch as Emma sips her coffee. She looks awful.

"So...Ethan hasn't said anything about our fight?"

I shake my head no.

"Okay"

She looks sad. Like, really sad.

"If you don't mind...Why did you and Ethan break up? I thought everything was going really well?" I ask.

Emma sighs and wipes away a tear. I suddenly feel bad. I can't even imagine what she's going through. It's really hard to get over someone. I just remember how horrible I felt when Hayden and I split. It wasn't great, but I got over it eventually. For Ethan and Emma it must be worse. Nobody throws away a relationship like they had.

Emma takes a deep breath and looks me in the eyes. Her clear blue ones look gray today. Dull. She looks down at the table as the following words come out of her mouth.

"Ethan cheated on me."