Chapter 90

Alyssa's POV

I'm tired. As I lay in my bed I'm tired. Not physically, but mentally. My head hurts and my body aches and suddenly I want my mom.

I curl up into a ball under my sheets and let the memories fall from my eyes like rain. I have to press my face into my pillow to muffle the crying as not to wake anyone else up. I'm hot all over and the pain in my heart just makes it feel worse.

***

7 am

***

My alarm goes and I groan as I open my eyes with a headache and a sore sensation all over my body. It's Monday. Yay.

I get my phone off my bedside table and quickly fire off a text to the twins telling them I don't feel well. I wrap my duvet around my shoulders and try not to fall back asleep as I wait for a response.

There's a knock on my door and I tell them to come in. The door opens and Ethan appears.

"Hey, honey," he smiles, tying his bathrobe shut over his pyjamas and walking towards me. "You're not feeling well?"

I nod and he frowns, lifting my chin and putting his palm against my forehead.

"You're not warm"

"I feel awful though," I sigh.

"I'll give you an Advil but you're going to school" he chuckles, ruffling my hair.

He leaves and I sigh feeling frustrated. The twins always say my mental health is more important than school but they never seem to back it up. I guess I can't really blame them. They don't know what's going on.

***

I'm thankful Ethan sent me to school. I'd much rather be here, in PE with Damon than back home with Grayson and Amy. She's been over almost every day for the past two weeks and Emma only half as much. Come to think of it, Emma's barely been over at all. She's been feeling insecure with Amy around, hence her not coming, and I know I'd do the same if I lived somewhere else.

"Dolan, I want a straighter plank!" Coach Novak yells, blowing her whistle.

I straighten my back and wince as my sides hurt. Amy's abuse has started to show and it's been a struggle to hide the bruises. I have a few on my arm, some on my sides and dried bloody scratches on my back from Amy's nails.

"Aly, are you okay?" Damon asks, effortlessly maintaining a plank position beside me.

"Yeah," I shrug.

He smiles at me and I try to smile back but really can't. He doesn't question me any further and by the time our plank time is up, so is our class time.

"Goodbye, students! Have a good day!"

I wave at our coach and turn to walk away when she suddenly hollers my name across the soccer field.

"You want me to wait?" Damon asks, combing his hair back with his fingers.

I shake my head no. "Just grab us a table and I'll be up soon"

He nods, takes my bag and walks up to the cafeteria. He's such a nice person and I'm glad we're friends again. He and I have both agreed not to date again as it would only make our newly close friendship complicated.

I make my way over to Coach Novak and she invites me into her office, shutting the door.

"Take a seat" she smiles, sitting across from me on her desk chair.

I sit down.

"I wanted to talk to you," she sighs, folding her hands on the table. Her brown eyes hold concern and I'm scared now.

"About what?" I ask.

She sighs again and points towards my wrists. "Where did you get those bruises from?"

I feel my heart in my throat as I look down at the ugly purple-blue ring riding around my wrists. At a frugal look, it's clear to see that someone's held me very tightly, and not in a good way.

"I'm worried about you, Alyssa. The councillors have noticed you've seemed a bit down recently. Is everything okay at home?"

The dreaded question.

For a minute I want to spill. I want to tell her everything. I want to ask her to help me and stop Amy. I want to ask her to bring my brother back but I know she can't. So I lie.

"Yes" I reply. "Everything is okay"

Coach eyes me like she quite doesn't believe me but let's me go with a simple, "okay" and  "have a nice day".

***

I'm glad to see that Emma's sat with Ethan when I get home.

"Emma!" I squeal.

She laughs and I hug her tightly. Her arms come around me and she squeezes me gently.

"How are you?" She asks.

"I'm okay. You?"

She nods. "I'm okay"

We sit down on the couch while Ethan goes into the kitchen to get us some coffee. While he's gone, Emma inches closer and asks me about Amy.

I sigh. "We had to cancel our trip to New Jersey because it was her and Grayson's six month anniversary"

Emma rolls her eyes. "I'm sorry. I knew you were looking forward to going to see your grandparents"

I shrug. "Oh well. Whatever Amy wants, Amy gets"

Emma rubs my shoulder sympathetically and we talk a bit more about Amy until Ethan gets back.

"Has she hurt you again?"

I bite my lip and look Emma dead in the eyes. Her blue ones almost get me to crack but I quickly look away and mutter a quick "no". Thankfully, Ethan walks in with a tray of coffees and the conversation melts away.

***
Wednesday
***

I click in my seatbelt and look out the plane window. This trip was all very unexpected.
Emma squeezes my hand in the seat beside me and I squeeze it back. We both get weird about flying.

Turns out the virus we all thought was a fluke is getting serious. The twins pulled me out of school, we packed our bags yesterday and now we're on the way to New Jersey.

Yay. I can't wait to be quarantined with Amy. At least I'll have Emma.

At least I can see Grandma again

***