Chapter 55

Alyssa's POV

I let my leg hang from the kitchen counter mindlessly, intrigued watching grandma prep the food for tomorrow's family reunion dinner. Grandma's probably the best cook in the family, next to Grayson. 

"Put that in the dishwasher, will you?" grandma says, handing me a glass bowl smudged with a creamy looking mix. 

I stick my finger in the bowl and lick it, lemony flavours exciting my tongue. Of course, grandma's making her family famous lemon drizzle cake. 

"That tastes amazing. I'd marry it if I could"

I open the dishwasher that's sitting under the counter I'm sitting on and carefully place the glass bowl inside. I shut it and lift my leg up, crossing both legs. 

Grandma laughs and shakes her head, wiping her floury sticky hands on her flowery apron. 

"Oh, how you make me laugh, honey"

My attention shifts to the back door, hearing the handle turn. Ethan and Grayson walk in, their heavy boots announcing their arrival. They dump some wood in a basket next to the door and take off their coats, both of them twinning in red sweaters. Before they come over to us, they dry their wet boots on the mat and hang their coats on the back of a kitchen chair. 

"Off," Grayson says, clicking his fingers at me and pointing towards the ground. 

I groan and get down from the counter. Grayson has this pet peeve of me sitting on counters. He's scared I'll burn myself on the stove or fall off and break my neck. 

"I'm not a dog" I mutter, huffily putting myself in one of the wooden kitchen chairs. 

Ethan chuckles and ruffles my hair, before walking over to grandma and kissing her cheek. My bad mood passes when I see grandma smile and close her eyes. Our families closeness makes me feel happy and blessed. 

"How was your day with little miss grumps?" he asks her, looking at me and grinning. 

Grandma chuckles and shakes her head. "It's been great. She's been very helpful"

"How was your boy's day in the woods? Did your grandpa John get mad at the neighbours again?"

Grayson opens his mouth but doesn't get a chance to speak before grandpa enters the kitchen, swearing loudly and shutting the door behind him. 

"Fucking neighbours.....have a headache.....wouldn't know a fucking-"

"John!" grandma exclaims. 

He looks up at her and smiles. It's cute. He has hella heart eyes for her. I hope I can have a love like theirs when I'm older. 

"What?" he asks, walking over to her.

"Alyssa's right there and you're cursing up a storm!" she shakes her head. "Honestly, John"

She throws another fit when she sees that he tracked in wet mud. 

"My dear Bernadette, I'll make it up to you tonight, my love" 

Grandma goes red in the face and chases him into the hallway with the rolling pin sitting to her right. The twins and I laugh.

"You've got a dirty old man for a grandpa, kids," grandma says, walking back into the kitchen. 

She turns away to wash something in the sink but before she does I catch a glimpse of her pink cheeks and sparkly bright eyes. They keep each other young and happy. It's comforting to see. It was comforting when I was younger too. Grandma and grandpa raised the twins and I after dad left and mom got hooked on drugs. I don't remember much from when I was living with mom but I do have some flashbacks of shouting, drunken slurs and the breaking of objects. I also remember many people who came knocking on our apartment door to complain about the noise, especially the police. One of those nights I was lifted out of my crib and into a black and white car with sirens on it. The next day, I was placed in an unfamiliar crib in this exact house and lived here until I was twelve and the twins were eighteen. Then the twins and I moved to LA so they could start their careers. I count myself lucky. Lucky because of how many adults I have caring and looking over me. Other kids aren't as lucky and it honestly breaks my heart. That's why I stopped watching the news about this kind of shit.