• Birthday Girl •

Please vote, follow and comment anything down below! Chapter ideas are also welcome! 🤍

***
Alyssa's POV
9 am
***

I wake up to the sound of a loud crash and sit up in bed, my heart racing. I grab my phone and sigh when I see the time. 

I decide to get out of bed and ignore the elephant in the room. It's my birthday today, but I'd rather not think about it. I wish I was excited about turning sixteen. I wish my mom and dad were here to help me out of this pool of anxiety and depression that I felt drowned by. For the past few days, Ethan has been talking to me more. He hasn't explained why or the reason behind ignoring me for so long, but I'm glad we're at least talking again. I don't know if I did something to upset him, though. That guilt still gnaws at my stomach even though I don't know what I did. 

Grayson's been annoyingly cheery. I know he's trying to help me cheer up and be positive, but the amount he's been smiling isn't normal for anyone. I do appreciate him a lot and how he's been there for me this whole time, but he's making me feel guilty for feeling sad. I can't help being depressed, yet it feels like Grayson's trying to speed up the process of my recovery. I want it to be gentle and helpful, not rushed and incomplete. 

I step into the shower and wash my hair thoroughly with my favorite coconut shampoo and conditioner. I hate to admit it to myself, but even getting washed and dressed is tiresome and impossible these days. Lauren said it was normal to feel this way. On the other hand, Grayson said it's important that I get out of bed every day and keep my regular routine. I'm keeping my trust in Lauren, though. She's the only licensed therapist near me.

I dry myself, get dressed, blowdry my hair, and then start on my face. Some eyeliner, lashes, and lipgloss make me feel and look alive. After brushing my teeth, I walk downstairs and immediately get confronted by Ethan. He's wearing a big smile. 

"You can't go in yet," Ethan says, gently pushing me towards the living room couch. "Preparations are still being made. Oh and happy birthday, Aly!"

Ethan kisses my cheek before rushing back into the kitchen. I smile and shake my head. I hate when the twins make my birthdays such a big deal. 

***

After ten minutes of wondering what the twins are doing, they invite me into the kitchen and I brace myself for something big and embarrassing. 

"Happy birthday, sweetheart," Gray smiles, giving me a big hug. 

"Thanks," I smile, hugging him back. 

Kristina and Lauren also give me hugs before Ethan pulls something out of his pocket. It's a piece of paper on a popsicle stick and I groan when he flips it over and covers his face. 

It's my face. On the popsicle stick. It's a picture from a long time ago and my baby face suddenly makes me wanna gag. 

"Ew, that is gross!" I groan, running a hand through my hair as Lauren and Kristina also get one. 

"Aw, cmon, it's cute!" Gray laughs, handing me one of the demonic pictures. "I miss you being little"

"I can safely say I don't," I reply, sitting at the kitchen counter and placing my stick figure face down on the wood. 

"Well have some breakfast and then we can open presents," Ethan says, placing a plate of french toast with maple syrup all over it down in front of me with a fork. 

"Then we can show you your birthday surprise," Gray says, a twinkle in his eye. "You'll love it, I'm sure of it"

***