Chapter 53

Alyssa's POV- 3:55 pm

I try not to fall asleep as my math teacher drones on and on about an upcoming exam. I couldn't give two shits about it, but it is kinda important, I guess. I try to take notes but my hand drops the pencil and I decide to just listen instead. Well, try too, at least.

I got no sleep last night. History homework kept me up till four am and I have to say, I'm not proud of it. I was just so tired during the day that I couldn't stress myself to do it enough. I work better later at night anyway. In this case, morning.

The bell finally rings and I mentally celebrate. I get to go home, finally! I grab my stuff and freeze when I see Hayden by the door waiting for me. He looks apologetic and slightly scared. I bend down and pretend to tie my shoelaces slowly, hoping that he'll get the message and go away. It feels awkward and I'm starting to sweat.

When I look up, Hayden's gone. Thank god. My breathing resumes and I finally feel how pained my chest feels from not breathing. I hate how awkward I am.

I grab my stuff and then stop at the classroom door, looking both ways down the corridor to make sure Hayden isn't waiting for me somewhere. Seems all clear.

"Alyssa?"

I turn around and see Mr Hunter at his desk, sifting through some papers. He frowns and picks out a paper from the stack, setting it aside.

"Have you got time for a little chat?"

I nod and walk over to his desk. I pull a chair out and sit next to him. He turns to face me and smiles weirdly.

"Are you okay?"

I let out a small chuckle and nod. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine"

"Are you sure?" he sighs and takes his glasses off, putting them on his desk. "Everything's okay at home? With friends? Potential lovers?"

I cringe a little on the inside. I really don't wanna discuss my love life with my history teacher.

"Yeah. Everything's okay"

He moves a paper in front of me and I see it's my test from last week. I frown when I see a C on the front. I never get C's, especially in history.

"Alyssa, I need you to get this signed by your guardians by Wednesday"

He sighs when he sees my face. "Don't worry, Alyssa. You're such a bright student. I'm sure you'll pick the next unit up in no time. Everyone has setbacks, but I know you can do better"

"Thanks, sir," I say, trying to blink back my tears.

I grab my test and leave his office, my heartbeat hammering against my chest.

***

On the way home

***

I turn the corner on my street and continue walking; my emotions feeling a hundred pounds in my chest. Everything going on with Damon, Hayden, my life and my past is fucking with me. I can barely think straight anymore and I don't feel like I can get up tomorrow morning and deal with the same shit. 

I stop when I see a familiar hooded figure holding some girl close. My eyes brim with tears when I realize it's Damon. 

I hurry past them and can not get home fast enough. 

***

Home

***

I place my test on the kitchen counter along with a post-it with sorry on it and proceed to my room where I dump my bag and fall onto my bed. The day catches up with me and suddenly I'm crying into my pillow softly. I don't feel like doing anything. I'm numb and Damon moved on.