Chapter 27

"It just happened!"
"It meant nothing"
"Please, come back!"

Emma's words circle through my brain as if they were on repeat. What did she mean by that?
I walk down the driveway, grateful that she's not following me. Looking down at the flowers in my hands I sigh and feel like crying. My heart feels broken.
"Fuck this" I mutter, tossing the roses into a garbage can.
I continue walking down the road, my tux suddenly feeling very sweaty and uncomfortable. I can't believe Emma would do this to me. I
My fingers clasp around the jeep door and I allow myself a moment, breathing in the fresh cool air of the nighttime breeze. Leaning my head against the door, I take a deep breath and finally get in.
I feel empty. I feel like I could never be happy again no matter how hard I try. With a big sigh, I stick my keys in the ignition and feel the engine rumble. I can't go home and let Alyssa see me like this. I can't.
I pick up my phone and call the only person I know, who'll understand.

~~~
Earlier
The fight

"Who the fuck is this?"
Emma looks worried as she asks me what's wrong. I throw her phone into her hands and she looks at the photo. Tears fill her eyes and she looks at me, unable to speak or move.
"That's what I thought" I mutter, grabbing my wallet and keys.
"Please, don't go!"
Emma runs up to me, tears running down her face as she clutches my shirt. I try not to look at her because I know I'll start sobbing too. Instead, o walk towards the front door and shrug Emma off as she tries to grab my hand.
"Ethan, please!"
I turn around and look her dead in the eye.
"Who is that?"
My voice is shaky but firm.
Emma shakes her head, more tears falling down her cheeks.
"A guy from the store"
I chuckle and shake my head, biting my lip
"Ethan please! It was one kiss and it didn't mean anything!"
"But it was worth jeopardizing our entire relationship?" I spit back.
She falls silent and sits on the couch. She cries into her hands and I have the strange instinct to hug her.
No, Ethan. She's not Alyssa.
I shake my head and head over to the door, my heart breaking with every second I'm standing in my ex girlfriends house.
"Just leave me alone, Grayson and Alyssa too"  I sigh. "Our family doesn't need someone like you"

***
Present time
***

"Our family doesn't need someone like you"

Those words bite my heart as I lay emotionless in bed. I check my clock and sigh when I see it's four am. I've been laying in bed for five hours. Damn, staring at a wall really does pass time.
I sigh and roll onto my back. It's weird. I feel numb. The only thing I can feel is the slight buzz of my heartbeat. I miss the way it used to roar for her. I miss her.
Deciding that sleep is useless at this point, I get out of bed and get dressed. I grab my car keys and wallet.
I need to have a nice calm drive, just me. I quietly walk down the hall, careful not to wake Grayson or Alyssa up and slip out the front door.

***

Grayson's POV

I yawn as my clock reminds me it's six thirty am. Rolling out of bed, I walk into my bathroom and brush my teeth.
Last night was rough. Ethan called me explaining what had happened with Emma and I was shocked to say the least. I've know Emma for three or four years now. She doesn't look like the kind of person who would do that. I sigh and spit the toothpaste into the sink, grabbing a towel to wipe away the excess on my lips.
Next, I walk into the kitchen and get some water boiling in the coffee pot. I also pop a few slices of toast in the toaster. Ethan might not wanna come out of his room for breakfast so I'll just bring it to him. After, I wash my hands and pat them dry on my sweats before walking to Alyssa's room to wake her up. On the way, I knock on Ethan's door and open it. The room is dark, but it takes no genius to know that Ethan isn't here. I sigh when I see his car keys and wallet gone.
"Alyssa!" I call, walking to her room.
I knock and open when I don't hear a response. I smile softly as she's in bed, still asleep. Her cute little snores make me chuckle quietly.
"Alyssa, baby," I coax. "Wake up"
"Nooo" she groans.
"Well good morning to you too" I laugh.
She glares at me and I raise an eyebrow.
"Get dressed and showered in ten. Breakfast is almost ready"
I leave and walk back to the kitchen, letting Alyssa get up and ready for the day.

***
Alyssa's POV

I get out of the shower and pull on some black ripped jeans, a white knotted shirt, and my Air Force 1s. I brush my hair until it falls in light brow waves, down my back. I spruce up my eyelashes with a bit of mascara and touch up my lips with a clear gloss. I actually feel pretty today. I pull a scrunchie onto my wrist and grab my bag, heading for the kitchen.
"Morning," I yawn, sitting at the kitchen counter.
Gray smiles and drops a piece of toast in front of me.
"Morning"
I take a bite and set it back on the plate, reaching for my phone. I go onto Instagram for a little and just click through everyone's stories, bored. I come across Emma's story and frown when I see she's still in bed. She's normally at soul cycle or getting coffee. Strange. Or maybe she's just in bed with Ethan. I mean it was their anniversary last night. I cringe at them doing the nasty and quickly change to someone else's story.
"Alyssa, off the phone and finish your breakfast" Grayson says.
I nod and put it down, taking another bite of toast.

Later
Ethan's POV

I park in the driveway and take the keys out of the ignition. I tap my fingers on the steering wheel while I decide whether or not to go inside. I already texted Grayson that I was okay and I'm not sure if he's home.
I make up my mind and open the Jeep door. I get out and take a deep breath before entering the house. First thing I see is Alyssa on the couch, watching TV. I'm relieved when Grayson walks out of the kitchen. He smiles at me and I sigh, walking towards my room. I don't wanna talk to anyone. Damn, I hate this feeling. I just wish everything was okay. I shut my door and throw my keys and wallet on my bed. I need a shower to clear my head.

The warm water streams through my hair and down my stomach, leaving shampoo suds swim around the drain by my feet. I throw my head back and feel the water run down my face like tears . My heart knocks against my chest, reminding me that it's okay to cry.

I don't want to, I need to.