Chapter 34

Alyssa's POV

Everything's dark. Did I die? 

I try to open my eyes but my body refuses to take any orders. I sigh internally and just stay still. A voice makes my heart knock against my chest.

"You know, you can wake up now" 

Damon laughs and I can just picture him shaking his head. 

"Stop playing, girl"

There's a couple of seconds of silence when I suddenly hear "boo!" I want to laugh but I can't. Damon starts singing one of my favourite songs and I cringe on the inside. He's super cute when he tries but to be honest, he's terrible. At least he can play the guitar. 

Three days later

I'm tired of hearing Damon's boots pacing the hospital floors next to my bed. I wish he'd just go home and rest. He sounds tired, emotional and restless. I wanna reach out and squeeze his hand tightly to let him know that even after all the hurt he's caused, he's the one I'll always come back too. I want to tell him that it's okay and that I understand. I want to tell him that I forgive him and put his mind at ease. So many things I wish to say but I can't. 

Damon's POV

It's Wednesday. It's been four days since I found Alyssa in the woods. 

I sigh and pull on some socks before putting on my black timberlands. I've barely slept since the day I found her. Every time I close my eyes, her face flashes before me, pale and dead like. I shiver as cold guilt runs down my spine. She could've died. I grab my guitar and sling it over my shoulder. Alyssa likes my guitar. 

I shake my head and tell myself to think about it later. Right now, I need to go to the hospital and see my girl. 

Hospital

I walk into the bleak white building and brace myself before walking in. I always have nightmares about this place. It reminds me of my mother too much. I suddenly feel a great surge of gratefulness when I think of Alexis taking me and my sister in. 

My mom was fucked up with drugs. Ecstasy, cocaine, heroin, you name it. She also got involved with bad people. My mom used to be a stripper. She had me when she was fifteen and then got kicked out of my nana's house. I mean, it's not the best job in the world but she was trying her hardest to put food on the table and a roof over our heads. I remember being super close to my mom. 

The police had come knocking on our tatty apartment door, demanding it to be unlocked and opened. Mom pushed me under her bed and told me to stay quiet, that we were going to play another game. I followed her instructions and stayed quiet. 

That was the day she got taken away in cuffs. I haven't seen or talked to her since. Alexis told me that she's been in rehab for the past five years, trying to fix herself enough to take me back. 

I take a deep breath and enter the hospital, my eye catching onto a small souvenir shop. I see some pretty white lilies and decide to get a small bouquet for Alyssa's bedside table. 

As I walk up to the cashier, she smiles and scans the flowers, tying them together with some pretty lacy ribbon. She hands them back and takes my money, dropping the change back into my hand. 

"For someone special?" the cashier winks.

I nod. 

"very special"

***

"Hey, gorgeous, "I say, walking into Alyssa's hospital room. 

She lays there the same way she's been lying there for the past four days. Still and quiet. I sigh and drop the flowers into a water-filled vase, the smell clouding the room already. I sit by the foot of her bed and take out my guitar. 

I strum a couple of chords and launch into a sad sounding tune. Her heart monitor picks up a little bit and I smile sadly. She's always loved sad music the same way I've always loved the sad beauty about her. I think that's why I've fallen for her. 

I turn towards the door as it opens, the twins walking in. They smile at me and nod at Alyssa.

"How's she doing?"

I sigh and put my guitar down. I thought Alyssa's brothers would try to kill me when they found out that I left her and stopped talking to her. To my surprise, they thanked me for bringing her to the hospital just in time. 

"Same as yesterday" I sigh. 

Ethan pats my shoulder. 

"Don't worry, kid. She'll be okay"

Ethan's POV

I walk to Alyssa's side and bend down to kiss her forehead. I regret yelling at her so harshly. I wish I could take it all back and start again. 

"Hey, sweetie"

She lays still, her chest rising and falling. I know she's alive but it doesn't feel like it. I miss her running around the house with her cute giggles and pouty face when Grayson scolds her. I watch as her long eyelashes lay still, closing off her beautiful hazel eyes. I wish I could look at them again and erase all the pain I know she's feeling. 

Alyssa's POV

I feel my eyes get warm with tears. Ethan's been visiting me every day for a few hours now and it hurts me to know that I hurt him with my selfish actions. He was clearly trying to protect me from the pain that Emma caused. Stupid me went ahead and decided to go against his wishes just to spite him. I'm glad I hurt myself. I deserve it. 

I feel a tear drop from my eyes and feel it run down my cheek. It tickles. 

Ethan's POV

A tear falls from under her eyelashes and I sigh. I know she feels terrible about what happened. So do I. 

"Shh, I'm here, baby," I whisper, picking her hand up and kissing it. 

Grayson sighs and wipes her tear away with his thumb. Tears glisten in his eyes as the hospital light catches them. I know he feels super hurt too. He's always caught in the middle of Alyssa and I, trying to make things right and listen to everyone. I tell Gray imma go get us some coffee and leave. 

Grayson's POV

I blink and feel a tear roll down my cheek. I hate seeing my baby sister lying in a bed, her wrists bandaged up for the second time. 

"Hey, baby," I smile sadly, touching her hair.

It's still soft and wavy. I can't help but feel choked up at the thought of all the pain she's been juggling. I could kick myself for being so oblivious. I can always read Alyssa like an open book, but recently she's been so shut off. It's insane that I didn't realize what was going on. '

"We miss you," I say. "I hate seeing you like this"

I sniff and wipe away my tears. This is so damn hard. 

"Please come back," I hug her to my chest and rest my chin on her head, squeezing my eyes shut. "Please, Alyssa"

I sigh at how helpless I sound. I lay her back down gently and stare at her face. The same face I've seen ever since I started raising her. She's like my daughter and it hurts. It hurts like hell. 

My heart skips a beat when I see her eyelashes flutter. I stand up quickly and start talking hurriedly when a nurse walks through the door. The nurse checks her drips and vitals and sounds pleased to know that Alyssa's being responsive. 

I let out a small sound when Alyssa's eyes open slowly. 

Alyssa's POV

My eyesight is blurry as I stare up at a white ceiling. My heart beats quietly along to my breathing and I feel drowsy. 

"Honey!"

Grayson appears in my face and I feel his hands cupping it. He looks so happy. 

I take a deep breath and think about how Imma explain this one...