Chapter 66

Alyssa's POV

The night air sends goosebumps rippling against my skin as I walk along the country houses. My cheek doesn't hurt anymore but the image of Grayson raising his hand is still fresh in my mind. How could he do that to me? His own sister.

I shake my head and try to focus on what I'm going to do now. Obviously I can't run away forever but I could just sit down somewhere for a few hours. I hope Grayson isn't mad at me anymore.

I spot a park and pick a bench to sit on. I watch the sun go down behind the clouds and sigh as the temperature drops and the winds pick up. It's so fucking cold! I wish I brought something.

I rub my bare arms and wipe some tears that fall down my cheeks unexpectedly. I still can't believe he slapped me. It wasn't very hard but it still hurt. What is he doing? What is he thinking? How's grandma, Ethan and Emma?

My eyes follow a family of five walking along the pathway home. They smile at me as they pass by. Their kids are adorable and the parents look like they belong on some parenthood book cover.
My heart pangs as I wish my family was like that. Then I feel bad because I actually have a great family. Oh god, my family. I'm scared to go home.

Ethan's POV

"Why does he always do this? He always makes her madder than she already is! Then she says something back and he has to react in the worst way possible! I mean honestly, Grayson needs to chill the fuck out"

Emma sits in the front seat, rubbing my shoulder and checking out the car windows.

"Sweetie, I know you guys are mad at each other but it wouldn't hurt to cut him some slack. I get that he slapped Alyssa and I'm with you one hundred percent, that is not acceptable"

"But?" I sigh, urging her on.

"Yet," she corrects gently. "Alyssa and him are super close. I don't think he meant to hit her"

I sigh and shake my head no.

"Whatever, Emma. I'm not talking to him until I find my baby girl, okay? She's out here somewhere, all alone and feeling very hurt. I need to find her and get her home"

Emma falls silent and nods, placing a small kiss on my cheek.

"You do what you need to do, babe"

***

"Alyssa!" I call, walking through a car park. "Alyssa!"

Emma also calls out her name but we get no answer. An old lady exits the building and looks at us, smiling.

"Lost your cat?"

I shake my head no. She shrugs and gets into her car, then drives away. Fucking hell. If I don't find Alyssa soon imma get really fucking upset.

"Well, she walked out right?"

Emma's voice cuts through my thoughts and I look over at her.

"Yeah"

"So if she was on foot then she couldn't have gotten very far"

"This is true" I sigh, leaning against grandpa John's truck.

"Ethan, baby, we'll find her, don't worry! Did you try her phone?"

"Six times" I reply flatly. "What if she's in danger? It's a cruel world out there, Emma!"

She puts both her hands on either side of my face and makes me look at her. I stare into her robin egg blue eyes and breathe. She smiles softly and her nose ring glints under the car park lights. God, I wanna kiss her right now.

"Ethan," she says, stopping my lips from meeting hers. "I know you're upset, okay? But you need to breathe before you give yourself a heart attack"

I nod and breathe deeply and slowly just to show her that I'm fine.

"Now let's go find your sister"

***

"Alyssa!"

"Alyssa!

"Aly!"

"Alyssa Dolan!"

I pull out my phone and attempt to call her one more time. It goes straight to voicemail. I hang up and angrily kick the curb. I just need to know that she's okay.

"Hey, E? Let's check this park"

I follow Emma into this dark and shadowy park. The kinda park that creeps hang out in late in the night. I shudder and hate to see the image of my little sister curled up on a bench here.

"Alyssa!" I call. "Alyssa!"

I sigh. Why do I feel like I'm never going to find her?

"Emma, I don't think she's here-"

"Wait...she's there!"

Emma runs over to a small weathered bench where a small figure is sat. I can't make it out to be anything or anyone but I'm desperate so I follow Emma in hopes that she's right.

"Alyssa? Oh, sweetie, we've been looking everywhere for you!" I hear Emma exclaim.

A sense of relief floods my body, lifting my heart. My bones feel lighter and worry disappears with ever exhale I take.

She's here. She's okay. She's safe.

I run over and smile, putting my arms around her and cuddling her close. Her macadamia scented conditioner wafts up my nose and I pull her closer.

"Oh dear god," I say breathlessly. "Oh thank god we found you!"

"I'm sorry" she mumbles, a stray tear running down her cheek.

"Shhh, don't apologize, honey. I'm just glad you're okay"

I don't let go of her. My hands run over her long chestnut hair and cup her heart shaped face. I look into her glassy hazel eyes and rub my thumbs over her cheekbones.
She looks sad.
Broken
And I fucking wanna kill Grayson.

"I'm okay, you know?" Alyssa whispers, hugging me back.

"I was so worried, sweetheart" I mutter, rubbing her back. "You have no idea how worried I was. Grayson told me he slapped you and-"

I feel her flinch and I know it's going to be a sensitive topic for a while.

I sigh. "And I felt awful. I'm sorry he did that, Aly"

"It's okay" she mumbles. "It was my fault. I was being stubborn and he got really mad and we just clashed. I'm okay, Ethan. Really, truly okay"

I smile softly down at her. "Then we better go home. Grandma's been worried sick!"

Alyssa backs away. Okay, not her ideal move.

"Aly, Cmon. It's cold and I need to feed you"

"No!"

More tears start dripping down her pink cheeks and I sigh.

"Alyssa," I sigh, taking her shoulders and hooking my thumb under her chin to make her look at me. "I won't let him touch you, okay? I promise"

"I'm going to call your grandmother, E" Emma says softly, rubbing my shoulder. "Tell her she's okay"

"Yeah and tell her to keep Grayson the fuck away" I spit out.

She nods and gives Alyssa a little side hug before going a distance away to make her call.

"Don't worry," I sigh, putting an arm around my little sister and leading her to the car. "I won't let anything like that ever happen to you again"

***