Chapter 93

Here's a nice juicy chapter to celebrate 100 thousand readers! Thank you all so much and enjoy! Comments, suggestions and votes are always welcome! 

***

Alyssa's POV

***

The days of the week fly by as Ethan's threat hangs over my head. He can't tell Grayson about Amy. It'll destroy him and the last thing I need right now is Grayson getting angrier with me. 

I take a deep breath and pull my hair back into a ponytail, eyeing myself in the mirror as I chew the rubber hair band clenched between my teeth. A new bruise is starting to form above my cheekbone and I take the band from my lips, securing my hair into a long secure high ponytail before grabbing a beauty blender and concealer. I apply the cover-up and dust on some contour, sighing at how well makeup covers up bruises. I wish Grayson would just notice and end the stress that rests upon my heart nowadays. Ethan's adding onto that stress and I know my deadline to tell Grayson about Amy's abuse is drawing closer. I feel sick at the idea of telling Grayson and even talking to him. 

We're not exactly on speaking terms. 

***

As I enter the kitchen I ignore Ethan's daily look cast upon me as if trying to tell me with his eyes to tell Grayson. I kiss grandma on the cheek and refuse breakfast as I make my way outside. It's been getting harder to breathe recently and I've found out that I don't feel as comfortable with my family anymore as much as I used to. I prefer being alone and I honestly don't think anyone notices or cares.

I walk down the dirt path towards the stables and decide to hang out with the horses. They don't talk so they can't judge and they are good listeners. 

"Hey, Moose," I say softly, resting my palm on his nose.

I giggle as his wet nostrils snuffle for tickles and I run my hand up and down his nose, smiling at his closed eyes. Horses are so cute and definitely easier to talk to. 

"You still love me, right?" I ask, leaning my head against Moose. 

His low groan confirms the answer and I smile again, feeling my face hurt thanks to the bruise. I step away from Moose when my phone pings. 

Damon- How's New Jersey? 

Me- It's good. Plenty of family time and fun! wbu?

I put my phone back in my pocket and almost have a heart attack when Grayson enters the stables lugging a giant hay bale. He sees me and straightens his back out, taking his gloves off. 

"There you are. I need you to go clear out the chicken pen"

I roll my eyes and sigh. I don't know why I expected him to say anything else. 

"Don't roll your eyes at me, Alyssa"

"I'm not" I mutter, walking over to him.

"Are you talking back now?"

A burst of anger flares up inside me. 

"Are you serious, Grayson?" I laugh, kicking the floor. "You think everything I have to say, including my opinion, is backchat! It's not fair I don't know why you're so pissed off with me!"

Grayson folds his arms and shakes his head, looking tired. 

"One, I know it's backchat because you're fifteen, two, don't talk to me like that and three, I am your guardian and when I ask you to do something I expect you to do it with no questions asked"

"That's just stupid!" I say without thinking. 

Grayson's eyebrows fly up and I know I'm in trouble now.